Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

have a 3.2 centimeters kidney stone whats the best way to

have a 3.2 centimeters kidney stone what's the best way to get rid of it

Hello Jorge xxxx ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

PCNL (per cutaneous nephrolithotomy) is the best treatment for the 3.2 cm kidney stone. It is a key hole surgery and just a small incision (key hole) in the back extracts the stone. About one or two days of admission is required.

The second best is extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL). This breaks the stone by the ultrasound wave without an incision. But a stent has to be placed via a camera through bladder (endoscopy) so the broken stone pieces can come out through the urinary passage. There can be pain when the stone pieces are passed for 5-7 days and some residual stone may stay.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.