Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

i am 30 years old and no children, but happily married. ive

i am 30 years old and no children, but happily married. i've always had VERY irregular periods, and about five months ago, i began to see them regulate a little bit. on the 4th of july, i started to spot VERY lightly - and have been spotting lightly ever since. there is no pain associated with any of this. i do know this isn't rectal bleeding, as i have inserted a tampon [vaginally] and a few hours later checked, and saw the very tip of the tampon showing brownish red/pink. my husband has been deployed for the past five months, so there is no way that i am pregnant. i have taken tests just to make sure. eight of them, actually.

the spotting is VERY light. the only time i can tell that it's there is when i look at the toilet tissue after wiping. if i wear a pad for 8 hours, there is nothing on the pad. the only time i see it is when i wipe - but i do know it is coming from "up there" because i tried the tampon method to make sure it was coming from "up there"... sometimes, after a hard bowel movement, there is more fresh, red looking blood - but nothing heavy like i have heard horror stories about.

i know i need to get in to see my doctor. i've made an appointment for the end of this month -- but, for right now, i would like to set my mind at ease. i am a little overweight [five foot two and 200 pounds] and i am a smoker. i also suffer from panic disorder, although that has been under control for the past few months.

please, any suggestions?

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Have you had a pap smear recently?

Dr Brims :

Are you taking any contraceptives?

Customer:

i am not taking any birth control - and the last pap smear i had was, sadly, around five years ago. as silly as this may sound, i was diagnosed with white coat syndrome two years ago. [scared of doctors for fear they will give me bad news]

Dr Brims :

Okay, there are many different possible causes, it could be due to fluctuation in your hormones, it could be due to a cervical lesion, or it could be due to an an endometrial lesion

Dr Brims :

You should have this examined ( A pelvic exam to determine the cause)

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

i am, sorry - just got this message.

Dr Brims :

No problem

Customer:

because of my panic disorder as well as health anxiety, my mind is going toward cancer. i know that via the internet, you cannot tell me whether or not this is cancer. however, i am scared that it may be cancer because i have gone 5+ years without a papsmear.

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear that, cancer usually takes 10+ years to develop

Customer:

i suppose what i am asking is, is have you seen this before? is this something that women go through? i see many posts from women saying they're heavily bleeding, however, i am not heavily bleeding at all. and the spotting is everyday, BUT, it doesn't last all day, if that makes sense.

Dr Brims :

Yes, I have seen this before, and any one of the conditions I mentioned above can cause this type of light bleeding

Customer:

as weird as this may sound, i am relieved to hear that doctors have seen light bleeding. i am just concerned because it has been a month now that this has gone on. any reason why it would show bright red after a hard bowel movement? not rectally, but vaginally.

Customer:

normally, it is a pink/brownish [old blood] tint to toilet tissue - except for after a hard bowel movement. then, it is more bright red but it doesn't continue

Dr Brims :

It could be the rectum is causing pressure on the vaginal wall

Customer:

would something like that call for a surgical procedure? and thank you so much for "chatting" with me

Dr Brims :

No, it would not likely cause for a surgical procedure

Customer:

if they do find this is a prolapse/pressure from the rectum to the vaginal wall - what would i have to do to "fix" this? it's very odd to me, because this happened on the 4th of july about 12 hours after i lifted something extremely heavy and had a bad back ache for about a week.

Dr Brims :

They would likely recommend a stool softener

Customer:

weird, but helpful, i suppose. i definitely am not having any bowel issues. i suppose i shall see when i go to my appointment. thank you again. what do i do now? sorry, i have never used this site before.

Dr Brims :

If you are satisfied and you have no other questions you may click a rating button

Customer:

i clicked and there is no submit button. i will try and figure it out - thank you so much for your time. are you a doctor located in florida?

Dr Brims :

I am in Ohio

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Customer:

wonderful - thank you so much, and have a great night!

Dr Brims :

Same to you