Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Last Monday I had an ablation for A-Fib under general anesthesia

Last Monday I had an ablation for A-Fib under general anesthesia for 6 hours. I've been home since Tuesday. My blood pressure has become high running 180/90 all day today even after taking my HPB medication (40 mg Lisinopril). Does general anesthesia cause blood pressure to soar? Is this dangerous?
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

General anesthesia occasionally can cause rise of the blood pressure which may remain persistently high. Your present blood pressure of 180/90 is significantly high and need lowering down to around 140. So you should contact the office of cardiologist or go to an urgent care clinic or emergency room.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I take another 40 mg Lisinopril tablet? I took one at 2:00 this afternoon which was my regular daily dose.

No, this should not be repeated as this is already the maximum dose per day. You may need some sublingual medicine (medication like Nifedipine under the tongue), which decrease the blood pressure in a short span of 15-30 minutes.

It is privilege assisting you.