Ask Your Health Question and Get an Answer ASAP
Hello Debbi, I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today. What are the treatment measures you have tried?
I have used ice, elevated the knee, but the pain is severe. I would like the MRI results explained to me, which is the information that i entered. Do you have that info?
MRI states near-complete to complete focal cartilage loss involving the pateilar apex with mild subchondral cystic formation. There is a tiny medial based popliteal cyst.
Could you please explain the above and what the next steps might be, what do you suggest to do to relieve the pain
1) Knee care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.
a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.
b) whenever you sit, keep the knee stretched and fold them intermittently.
c) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.
d) Avoid climbing stairs.
2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your knee, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.
3) Anti-inflammatory medications
4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your knee and help you regain knee stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.
5) Orthotics and bracing.
6) Glucosamine and chondroitin orally for about 1-2 years and a trial of diacerin for three months.
7) Hyaluronic acid injections in knee.
8) Local analgesic sprays and ointments to your skin may help relieve the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis.
9) Deep Electrotherapy by physical therapist.
These are the exercise resources for the knee. You can pick the exercises which suits you;
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.
Is surgery required to repair this, how to replace the cartilage
How is this fixed? Surgery? How is cartliage replaced