Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

Hello there, This one is for a Doctor I believe.

Customer Question

Hello there,

This one is for a Doctor I believe. I'll start my story from the beginning. Might want to settle in for this one. I'm 26 years old and a year ago exactly my life changed, and has never been the same. I used to be a huge social butterfly, throwing get togethers every weekend, going on trips all over the map. Nothing ever fazed me abit. I loved adventurer and big exciting crowds.

One year ago I took a Captains course to do commercial fishing. I noticed I was nervous going into it the first day but it passed. Near the end of the course I was to do a Medical course for first aid advanced. I've never been good with hospitals or hearing about people with conditions. My grand fathers on both sides had the issue as well.

Not even thinking about it, I went for the course and I was never the same. Soon as the teacher began talking about medical problems I found myself getting light headed and shaky. I tried to fight it off but it became so bad I was feeling sick and had pains in my chest from being so tense.

A family member who has fought anxiety their whole life gave me a Valium to take to get me through it. I managed to make it through the 4 days of the course on half a valium a day. I was ashamed, but I had no choice.

A month went by and I thought I was ok, it was time to return to work on the sea. I was frightened at a job I had done for years. Nervous, and not able to sleep, dry mouth and shakes. I found it hard to travel in vehicles with anyone who didn't know me well. I would be anxious and afraid.

My mother and sister had anxiety and were both on meds for it. I thought I was lucky and skipped it. I ended up going to my family Doctor when it became so bad I could hardly leave the house, there was even a night I couldn't drive. He put me on Zolof or other known as Sentraline (I think). After a week I noticed a difference, I became functional again. By 3 weeks in I was feeling pretty good. A month almost perfect.

It was a 3 month prescription and By a month and a half I was back to my old self. I became so confident I decided to let it run out in February. I was back in the grove of work and had a great girl. I thought this was my happy ending. Drug free. My season with fishing ended May 31st. And once June hit I had a ton of time on my hands, I was fine.

But soon as July hit with even more time on my hands, I began to feel anxiety creeping back in to haunt me. Little by little. I began having problems going into stores, scared of being to far from the exit. Trouble watching action movies with flashes and loud noises, no longer could I go to the theater. Now its so bad I have trouble at home watching movies. Video games got to me again. I became afraid of family dinners, normal things, being around friends...my girlfriend even. So afraid of loosing it, getting the shakes, or getting anxious, fainting....I know its all in my head but here I'am again, full circle.

I'm coming to you, whoever you are, to shed some light as a second opinion.
Was Zolof a good choice? Should I return to the drug? Is there something more efficient out there? Any tips on how to get rid of it without drugs?

My doctors is very old and I wonder if he is "out dated" so I hope someone can help.
Also he mentioned when men hit 25 their hormones go whacky for awhile, and that could also be why I'm like this, that it could pass.

I look forward to your answer.

Thank you!

-Mitchell
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 12 months ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Zoloft is a good choice for anxiety disorder

Dr Brims :

There are other choices, like buspirone

Customer:

What would be the difference between the two? I was on 15 MG a day Zolof, is this a very light dose? I've heard people taking 25MG a day at the lowest but never 15 MG. Mostly 50MG when I looked around at Google. I'm wondering if you could answer these questions and some more of the ones in the original question I sent last night. So far you've been helpful but very vague, no offense!

Customer:

Thanks :)

Dr Brims :

They are different drugs

Dr Brims :

Zolfot is a drug in a class called SSRI's, which are the best drugs to treat anxiety

Dr Brims :

Buspirone is used when you cannot tolerate SSRI's

Dr Brims :

15mg is very low, the lowest does I would start with is 25mg

Customer:

Why do you think he would go with 15 MG instead of the normal low dose of 25mg?

Dr Brims :

Unfortunately, I cannot answer that, I have never heard of a physician prescribing 15mg

Customer:

Hmm I see, could you explain how Zolfot helps people with Anxiety, Anxiousness?

Dr Brims :

It is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, serotonin is related to anxiety and moods

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

So in short, its helping balance the chemical in my head.

Customer:

So I don't have anxious, and depressing moods

Dr Brims :

Yes, that is correct

Customer:

My family has a big history of anxiety. Good chance its through the genes.

Customer:

But the one question I can't figure out. Is why did it all of a sudden hit me at 25.

Customer:

After being a huge social butterfly for years on end.

Dr Brims :

It can occur at any age

Customer:

Triggered by a life event that was hard to get through perhaps?

Dr Brims :

Life events are very common triggers, so yes, that is possible

Customer:

I appreciate you answering all these questions.

Customer:

I find when I go to a doctors office, I get alittle anxiety and can't get all of it out.

Customer:

I'm way better at writing my words.

Dr Brims :

I am happy I can help

Customer:

My last question for you

Customer:

Do you think I should continue to try and fight it without Zoloft or go back to it to live normal again?

Dr Brims :

If your symptoms are bothering you you should go back on zoloft

Customer:

Well that part is for certain.

Customer:

I thought of one more thing.

Dr Brims :

ok

Customer:

Long term use or any use of Zoloft can it have any bad effect on someone?

Customer:

Or is it pretty safe.

Dr Brims :

No, it is very safe

Customer:

If one were to have kids someday, is there any chance it could spin off anything onto them?

Dr Brims :

No, it would not

Dr Brims :

Hello?

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

Sorry I got disconnected

Customer:

I thought of a couple more quick questions, I plan on giving you the best rating no worries!

Customer:

Promise this is the last 2

Customer:

Should I ask for 25 MG when I go back or stay with 15?

Customer:

And should I worry about having a few drinks while on Zoloft? I've heard mixed reactions.

Dr Brims :

You should ask for 25mg

Dr Brims :

You do not have to worry about alcohol

Dr Brims :

Hello?

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

Ok thanks!

Customer:

You've been very helpful

Customer:

I'll leave excellent feedback. Have a great weekend!

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience