Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

I had an abscess drained treated with IV antibiotics and a

Customer Question

I had an abscess drained treated with IV antibiotics and a colon resection a little over a year ago. I have nausea feeling at times and when I have to have a bm. I just don't feel good most of the time. My question is can diverticula's come back, and can the nausea be from this ? Symptoms are starting like when I had the abscess. NO INSURANCE to find out what's going on.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 3 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : Diverticuli tend to occur more in the last portion of the colon or in the descending colon or sigmoid this the area of ypur colon resection?
Anthony Bray MD : How much colon was removed?
Anthony Bray MD : It is possible that you may have had the most severe segment of colon removed and that areas above or below the resection may have had diverticula in the colon above or below the area resected....
Anthony Bray MD : Diverticula may continue to develop but this is a slow process.....
Anthony Bray MD : The tendancy for diverticula to develop relates in general to constipation...
Anthony Bray MD : the pressure of hard stool passing with difficulty down the colon tends to push out the diverticula pockets...this is the mechanism believed to be responsible for this problem...
Anthony Bray MD : You may have too much loose stool if you have a large portion of the colon removed...
Anthony Bray MD : The colon erves to absorb fluid back from the stool so a colon resection may at times cause chronic diarrhea...
Anthony Bray MD : If you should have problems with ongoing constipation and perhaps may still have some diverticulosis then you may benefit to take Metamucil on a daily basis to help regulate and normalize the stool>>this or a daily stool softener may benefit diveticullosis.
Anthony Bray MD : Daily Surfak, Colace, docusate,or a tablespoon of mineral oil daily are options to soften the stool and reduce the risk of worsening diverticulosis....I would NOT advise the latter options if you have chronic diarrhea however..
Anthony Bray MD : As for nausea there are many posssible reasons for this symptom>>^ would NOT just presume that nausea was necessarily being caused by diverticulosis....
Anthony Bray MD : If you have lower left quadrant abdominal pain then. This could relate to this problem...
Anthony Bray MD : If you mainly now have nausea though then I tthink you do need medical help to evaluate why this is....this would be the only practical solution to get you the help that you seem to need....
Anthony Bray MD : Nausea for example is frequently due to stomach irritation >>>ulcer or gastritis.....
Anthony Bray MD : If this were the cause of you current nausea then ypou may benefit to take aci lowering medicine such as over the counter Prevacid or Prilosec...
Anthony Bray MD : You may benefit to avoid GI irritants such as alcohol,coffee, acidic foods, spicy foods and anti-inflammatory meds
Anthony Bray MD : These steps would not hurt and may help!
Anthony Bray MD : Still I feel that you would be best to have the help of your doctor to check into the problem to help detrmine what exactly is the cause in your case...
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this helps you!
Anthony Bray MD : Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happpy to get bacj with you
Anthony Bray MD : I will opt out to allow another expert to assist you...
Expert:  Camille-Moderator replied 3 years ago.

I’m Camille, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Do you want further help on this?

Do you have any questions?