Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Hi I just noticed a hard bump next to my scrotum in the crease

Hi I just noticed a hard bump next to my scrotum in the crease where my leg meets my groin area. It is not very tender. I noticed it after a few very long day of sweaty walking in very hot temperatures. It appeared suddenly and has not grown in the past 2 days since I noticed it. Any ideas what it could be?
Hi--how large is it? Are you saying it's a little sore? Any redness?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The bump feels to be a little less than one inch long and about a width of quarter/half inch. Seems to have a general rectangular shape. Not really red, if it is, it's just very slightly redder than the skin of the area. It's pretty much not sore and I barely notice it during the day. I only noticed it while showering the first time and I'm quite sure it wasn't there before. The only slight sensitivity occurs when I try to investigate it by touching it, pressing itor stretching the skin around to see what it looks like. Other than that it barely noticeable to me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert asked me a follow up question which I answered immediately, but it's been 30 minutes and now he's offline and I'm left without an answer.
So sorry for the delay--I had computer problems. Is this actually in your groin or more in the thigh?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's actually exact in the crease where the top of my thigh connects to my groin area, off to the right right side. Not on the thigh and not on the perineum, but right in the middle. It seems to follow the exact line of the crease between thigh and groin.
Sorry again for the delay but there's a time differential to consider. This sounds like a sebaceous cyst--from a plugged oil gland. Nothing serious but these can get infected from time to time. There really isn't anything you can use to try to get rid of it but if it's bothersome it can be excised under local anesthesia by a doctor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the response! It actually does feel to be getting 10% better today, as in a slightly decreased size and still not much agitation at all. Spent another full dy walking and felt nothing at all. You mentioned the possibility of infection, is there something I can do to reduce the risk of infection? Also, is there any timeline whereby I should have it checked out by a doctor in person if I do not see further improvement? Thanks in advance!
Well I assume you're about five hours ahead of my time here in the eastern US. I'm on usually from about 9AM until about 12 midnight my time so I can get to you anywhere in that time span. I'd suggest you use some moist heat like in a damp washcloth put in the microwave just to make it warm but not uncomfortably hot and place it on the area for ten minutes three times a day an follow that with a light covering of an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin. Unless it gets very red and very tender there really shouldn't be any problem