Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

have a pain that seems to be concentrated in one spot on the

have a pain that seems to be concentrated in one spot on the back. i think it is on the right side a bit below shoulder blade. a while back i think i injured something because the pain was really bad and i had to take advil and put something warm on it. and then it went away. and on the off since then it sort of comes and goes. after i get a massage it goes away after a while, but then it sort of returns.
it's been about 2 months since all of this started and now i am freaking out.

on the unrelated note, or maybe related. today, i cannot move my head to the right and it feels like in have pain the head.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also.

DR HASAN :

You have this pain for 2 months?

DR HASAN :

Am i right?

Customer:

on and off

DR HASAN :

Do you feel any numbness and tingling at that site?

Customer:

not really. sometimes i feel somewhat shooting pain in the leg.

DR HASAN :

Do you have neck pain or lower backache?

Customer:

well, today, i can't move my head. but, it's just today.

Customer:

no, no lower backache.

DR HASAN :

Where exactly is the headache? front, back, top, over the eyes etc?

Customer:

well, it's not really a headache. but, it starts in the neck, where i cannot move and goes up to the side of the head

DR HASAN :

How much advil you have taken so far?

Customer:

nothing today. the neck and head thing is just today's occurrence. and it does not seem to be so bad that i need to take something. when i said that i took advil that was when the pain was really strong in the back (when it felt like i pulled a muscle or something). but, that went away, now just lingering effects. but, when i move shoulder or right side of the back i feel it.

DR HASAN :

Do you have any diagnosed medical problem?

DR HASAN :

Why you are freaking out? Are you worried about anything serious?

Customer:

like what medical problem?

DR HASAN :

Like arthritis etc?

Customer:

yes, i am freaking out that it maybe something serious.

Customer:

no, no arthritis.

Customer:

like something is wrong with lungs or other things or something

DR HASAN :

Thank you so much for giving me all this info but this has really helped me.

DR HASAN :

The most likely cause of that painful spot is pulled muscle or compressed nerve.

DR HASAN :

This nerve compression can be locally at the site of pain or in the spine.

Customer:

and how long does it last?

DR HASAN :

But as you have just pain at the specific point, local compression seems more likely.

DR HASAN :

It can last forever if it is not treated.

DR HASAN :

In some specific position the nerve can get compressed or that muscle can get pulled.

DR HASAN :

So I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations you should take OTC tab aleve twice daily for a week and massage the area with OTC Bengay cream.

DR HASAN :

Twice daily.

DR HASAN :

Hopefully you will feel much better but if symptoms persist then see your doctor because as a net step a session pf physical therapy can help you out.

DR HASAN :

As far as anything serious is concerned, i reassure you that anything serious is out of question.

DR HASAN :

Anything which is serious never come and go.

DR HASAN :

I hope this helps you?

DR HASAN :

Please don't stress yourself.

DR HASAN :

Any question please?

Customer:

so, now that i am sitting, i feel a sensation in my back.

Customer:

ok, but what about the neck issue.

DR HASAN :

Neck issue can be related to spine problem or muscular spasm.

DR HASAN :

I was asking about arthritis because nerve compression in neck due to arthritis can cause the pain like you are having.

DR HASAN :

But in your case since the neck issue is recent so sounds more like a muscular pain.

DR HASAN :

Aleve for 7 days will help with both issues.

DR HASAN :

Instead of taking off and on, take regularly for 7 days.

Customer:

but, the fact that back issue been lasting for about 2 months is not concerning to you?

DR HASAN :

You mean that area on your shoulder blade?

Customer:

right

DR HASAN :

If you mean that shoulder blade area then yes i am concerned but as per description it is either a pulled muscle or compressed nerve. It is not related to lung or any serious problem. I assure you.

DR HASAN :

Anything else in your mind?

DR HASAN :

Are you with me?

DR HASAN :

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

sorry, just one more questions. i was just walking around and moved my head and there was really strong pain in my neck.

Customer:

is that a pulled muscle?

DR HASAN :

Thanks for replying

DR HASAN :

Yes that can be muscular spasm.

DR HASAN :

Aleve will help you.

DR HASAN :

Just take it and do bed rest.

DR HASAN :

Application of heating pad to neck will also be helpful.

Customer:

ok.

Customer:

fine.

Customer:

thank you.

Customer:

smiley fact it is.

DR HASAN :

You are welcome.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery