Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I spoke to my doctors pa. she advised me they will be looking

I spoke to my doctors pa. she advised me they will be looking at cotinine levels at that time of my blood test.....and that a week should do it, I did my own research as well, there is also cotinine In tomatoes and other foods we eat but not enough od course to give a positive unless u are vegetarian,,,,i'm guessing, I really just need to no the levels of a non smoker if you would have that info? and what about all the products that say cotinine gone is 3 days guarnetee? are they trustable? i'm sorry as that may not be a fair question...thank you for all you expertise I am so confused I am hearing 5 days, a week, 2 weeks a month, not from u please I didn't mean from you......u have been great and I that you so much.....I just want this test over....

I can appreciate your concern.

The target level for you to show that you are not actively smoking is 10ng/ml in a blood test.

It takes upto 1 week for the levels to drop down to this level after quitting smoking.

This again depends on the level of smoking.

For light to moderate smokers, it will take 2-4 days for levels to reach normal. For heavy smokers, more than 20 cigs a day, it can take upto 1 week.

And no, none of this products work at all. Dont get scammed, dont go for them. What you are doing is best - plenty of water and also vitamin C.

Take care.

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was a 10-12 cigarette smoker have cut down less over last 2 weeks... so I was considered a moderate smoker? ok so in 4-5 days" NO SMOKING AT ALL" along with drinking water does it matter if I flavor it with a milo natural water flavoring no asparteme or additives or calories, along with 5 vitamin c tablets a day my blood test cotinine levels should be that of a nonsmoker?

Hello

Yes, thats about right. Flavoring does not matter at all.

Take care.

Hello Jo,

Thank you for your positive rating to my answer.

I am very pleased that I was able to help you.

You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, because the survey is actually very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.

If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just 'request' me or put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.

It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.

JA has also started a new feature where you can add an expert to your list of favorite experts so that you can request them directly

I would be honored to be included in your list.

Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I HAVE ONE MORE QUESTION I AM TAKING THE BLOOD TEST ON Monday, will sitting in a steam room or sauna drinking plenty of water, taking my vitamin c, over the week end help along with if I need one 1 only one cigarette to help me get threw this weekend will all this help to keep my levels down to that of a non smoker.....or at least close to a 10ngml?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I WAS WONDERING IF I WAS TO GO SIT IN A STEAM ROOM OR A SAUNA AND IF I HAD TO HAVE JUST ONE CIGARETTE, JUST ONE A DAY AND I DRANK ALOT OF WATER,AND TOOK MY VITAMIN C WOULD MY LEVELS BE LOW ENOUGH TO PASS MY BLOOD TEST ON MONDAYNEXT WEEK? I AM TALKING MY COTININE LEVELS WHAT INDICATION WOULD THE DOCTOR GET WOULD THE LEVELS BE LOW ENOUGH THAT OF A NON SMKER, FORMER SMOKER, OR AROUND PEOPLE WHO SMOKE, AND PASS A REMINDER FOR THE LAST SEVERAL WEEKS I MAYBE HAD 10 TOPS 12 CIGARETTTS A DAY SOMEDAYS EVEN LESS...