Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

Dull, throbbing pain in the penis

I had unprotected sex 8 days ago and 5 days ago my penis began experiencing a dull, throbbing pain and I had frequent urination that day. Since then, anytime I drink liquids, I have to urinate very quickly. Urinating is not painful, but maybe some slight discomfort when I stop urinating sometimes. It's hard to tell where the dull pain is coming from, but it seems like it's mostly on the underside of the penis head. I did a urine test yesterday for chlamydia/gonorrhea which came up negative. I was worried I was experiencing a prodrome for herpes because the area around my penis hole and near my frenulum was slightly red. Today I noticed a 2 small purplish dots toward the base of my penis head on the side. They don't hurt or protrude very much, but I'm worried about what they may be.
Lower abdominal pain?
Associated itching on such dots/bumps?
Any penile discharge?
Burning sensation during urination?
Thanks dear.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No abdominal pain. No itching. No discharge. During urination there is no burning. Sometimes if I have been urinating frequently there is a very mild burn when I stop urinating. I have attached a picture of the 2 small dots/bumps.. They are more visible if my penis is erect.

In my opinion you should undergo a urine routine examination,urine culture and sensitivity test and HSV2 IgM.
Usually in cases of infection pus cells can be found in urine sample.
Frequent urination can be a sign of urinary infection.
Herpes IgM antibodies usually are detectable by herpes blood tests within 7-10 days after initial infection, and levels stay high for approximately two weeks.
Since you have a history of dull pain and there are small bumps possibility of herpes prodrome should be ruled out.
Usually the herpes lesions tend to be painful and ulcers can be formed at the site of small bumps.
Second possibility is that these are penile papules and were present for quite some time and you didn't noticed them for long especially if the lesion is painless.
Penile papules are normal and not clinically significant.
So i would advise further lab test in your case for diagnosis and management.
I hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I already had a urine test for chlamydia/gonorrhea which came back negative. Would they have checked for all possible bacterial infections in that urine test? They also took a culture swab from inside the penis hole, but those results have not came back yet. They prescribed me some antibiotics anyway.

In your opinion, what do those 2 small bumps appear like to you?

For other bacterial infections,Urine microscopic examination should be done.
If they have done complete Urinalysis then it may be possible that they have checked for all types of infection.
And these small bumps suggest the potential differential diagnosis like Prodromal stage of herpes, Pearly papules, fordyce spots.
Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it was herpes, how long would it take for the bumps to develop into blisters or ulcers?

It may take few days to 2 weeks to develop bumps into blisters/ulcers.
Hope this helps.