Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.

I would like to know if a microwave oven leak would cause injury

I would like to know if a microwave oven leak would cause injury to anyone. The reason I ask is that I noticed a rusted spot inside and I used my trifield meter that measures radiation and it ran a higher than normal, and I looked and there was a gap on the bottom of my microwave and when you close the door it kind of has a bulge in it. I never noticed this before as I didnt really think to look underneath it. Not sure how long it has been there. Have had the microwave for six months or less and am really frightened of health issues? Any advice?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Sorry that it took long for me to ask this question because your question was locked by other experts and left unanswered. I have locked your question just now.

I would like to know:

Do you or any of your family members have a pacemaker implanted in your heart?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No we do not. I just had measured the microwave/radio level on my EMF meter and it was higher than usual and got to examining the microwave and it had a gap in the bottom so I'm scared what it has done etc.

Alright.

The maximum level of microwave radiation emitted from a microwave when using it is approx. 5 milliwatt. How much did you measure?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

My device only goes to 1, its not digital it has a hand that goes like a clock, and it would go to the maximum level back and forth, like .5 to maximum back and forth, of course next to the microwave it stayed on the maximum.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I should have said about 20 inches away from the microwave it had those readings, and then when it was touching it almost or a few inches away it was all the way as far as it goes (it only goes to 1).

Ok. So, the maximum level you have measured is less than 5 milliwatts. Either 5 or less than that is not a health hazard as standardized by the FDA. Moreover, the leak that you have mentioned cannot emit radiation to more than 2 inches around the microwave. You may observe that if you put the meter about 20 inches from the microwave, the reading may be unmeasurable. So, it is unlikely that the leak has not caused any damage to you or anyone using it.

Studies conducted for research have shown that microwave injuries occur at a much higher level (higher than 5 milliwatt) and also only when there is direct exposure to the radiation like skin burns. Radiation emitted further away from the microwave has not been documented to cause any health issues on human subjects during studies. So, I believe you are safe!

However, you should get the leak repaired or perhaps get a new one!

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Actually my meter wont go past 1 mw, so I'm unsure of the measurement. I took measurements from 20 inches, 3 feet, 4 feet, and up close. All the ones that were not right up next to the microwave were .05 going up and down to 1 back to .05 or .5 bouncing back and forths for the numbers. But up close it pegged out at the maximum as it would go, its not digital just has a hand that goes to 1 but thats as far as it measures. So it only measured 1 mw and under, if it is higher, then I dont know what the number would be as mine wont read higher numbers. I wont be using the microwave anymore, but fear what damage it has done?

A word of caution about the microwave testing devices being sold to consumers: FDA has tested a number of these devices and found them generally inaccurate and unreliable. If used, they should be relied on only for a very approximate reading. The sophisticated testing devices used by public health authorities to measure oven leakage are far more accurate and are periodically tested and calibrated.

So, I do not think that your testing device is reliable . Regarding the health issues, microwaves do not cause any other problems besides mostly skin burns or cataract of the eye when there is direct exposure of the skin or the eyes to the microwave.
You would not need any special health check up for the unmeasured microwaves as there is no injury caused from these waves.
My advice would be to replace the microwave immediately though and you can even get it checked by the public health authority to know the exact amount of leakage from it.

Good luck!

I hope my answer has helped you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok thanks! When you say get it checked by the public health authority to know the exact amount of leakage from it what did you mean, or I should say what would this do or what type of information would this help me with ect? (Im not sure if I'm making sense :)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

OH and how soon would I know if I had been harmed healthwise or visionwise? or whatever that could damage me ect?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Also would you know about IR light and affects on eyes?

No, I meant that if you would still want to know the exact amount leaking from the rent on the microwave, you can take it to the public health authority. But my personal opinion is that it would not be necessary .

Healthwise you will see immediate redness in your skin if there is injury and catarct willl take years of exposure to develop. so, I guess you are not seeing any of these now !

I hope I am clear this time!!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks so much, speaking of seeing, do you know if IR light can cause harm to your eyes?

Only after long term (as in years) of exposure, there may be cataract and blindness.

Have a good sleep now.

And, please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks! I already rated you. The IR light was from a night vision camera I was setting up and it had IR Leds and I looked at the lights about a foot and a half from the lights and was worried I may have caused damage. If i read correctly it says the IR LED Lights on the cameras release invisible light, the wavelength band is 850 nm (not sure if that means my specific model though)

Thanks for the rating!

IR light used in night vision cameras is usually safe though!

If you have any new questions for me, please request me as DR. BORA in the opening statement of the question.

Expert:  Karel1 replied 8 months ago.
Same thing happened to me with a magic chef I bought from walmart 6 months ago. I called them, told them the problem, sent a letter , They instructed me to cut off the cord and mail them the cord and sent me a full refund. If you know the make of the company call there customer support tell them about the rust and all of them should make good for it. especially if you have the receipt or warranty booklet.