Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Is a Heterogeneous Enhancing Mass lower pole right kidney Size

Is a Heterogeneous Enhancing Mass lower pole right kidney Size 8.2 x 5.8 . The doctor said the kidney was 3 times normal size. Is the mass usually cancerous?

Hello Donna ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

What are the symptoms for which the CT was done?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the CT scan was done because he was having severe pain in the middle back area.

Hello Donna,

The heterogeneous mass can be cancerous.. But there are other possibilities like;

1) Tubercular infection.
2) Complex cyst.

A good think is that even if it is cancerous; there is a high chance that it is a low grade cancer, which is completely treatable by surgery. These cancers are seen in research to be not aggressive and have not spread beyond kidney.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.