Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Today I got a finger prick on the side of my finger from a

Today I got a finger prick on the side of my finger from a nurse practiononer to get my cholesterol checked. It was one of the clicker things to prick your finger. By the time I got home around the site was a black purple bruise and it's very sore. Much more sore than normally. She didn't really get the pad of my finger it was more to the side. Should I be concerned? I put a Neosporin on it and a bandaid and even iced it a bit. It's just a tiny bit swollen, but very sore.

medtech254 :

Finger pricks can be quite painful and sore for some time similar to a nasty paper cut. The are stuck can contain a good blood supply and bruising is common if not done on the pad of the finger. While this is uncomfortable it is normal and will resolve given time. It is important to keep the area clean and free of debris and as you have already done use an antibiotic ointment.

Customer:

Ok, I just have not had this type of response to a finger prick before and I have very thin fingers I was worried it had hit my bone. If it had hit the bone would you treat the same way?

medtech254 :

It would not have hit the bone. The adjustment even at the deepest level would not be long enough to hit bone. The np just used a placement that is not exactly where it should be. This is just going to be uncomfortable for a while and the important thing is to keep it clean and the antibiotic on it. The area should heal without any further treatment.

Customer:

Ok thank you.

medtech254 :

You are very welcome!