Karel1
Karel1, Certified Respiratory Therapist
Experience:  Have suffered with Narcolepsy a sleeping disorder over 30 years,specializes in asthma ,COPD
24118

Throat Issues

Customer Question

So i went to the doctor for the recurring issue for my throat and my ear problem the first i told them my symptoms the first doctor an ENT checked my ear and said he didnt see anything that would cause my ear pain then he looked in my mouth but said it was slightly read did not perform a procedure, He honestly did not give me a clear answer as to what he thought it was i told him prior to that i had been drinking alot in the month prior to getting this and had the cold but seemed to shrug it off and gave me an nasal drop Betnesol and claritin and told me to come back in two weeks the CLaritin helped my sinus problems of congestion and and that nose twitching i was getting and pressure i wa s feeling but the pain in my ear and throat is still there, Now i went to another doctor who also said he didnt see any problem with my ear that would be causing me my pain but he listened to my symptoms i have not had a drop of alocohol for 14 days as i am trying to quit this doctor told also didnt give me a clear response as to what it was but gave me a gargle and anti inflammatory meds i feel a bit better but the pain comes and goes liek if i drink a soda i can actually feel the pain when the fluid passes what i also noticed was when i got a the gargle which is an aspirin gargle i can feel the area where it seems to be bothersome behing my tongue and i feel it in my ear These are my symptoms Congestion (Relieved) Throat PAin specifically on the right side off and on not constant Ear Pain specifically onn the right side off and on not constant Mucus when i swallow Nose runs Symptoms have lasted for more than 1 month and 2 weeks Stop drinking for 2 weeks No ACid Reflux in chest or heart burn Now my biggest fear is that i have developed cancer symptoms as i was a heavy drinker which i am now getting help for need a peice of mind as to what this may be

Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

I think cancer would be the last thing that comes to mind. A few things here -

Have you had any allergy testing done to see what (if anything) you are allergic to? Sounds like since this is chronic (ongoing) that it is something that you are coming into contact with very frequently to cause your symptoms.

Post nasal drainage from some deep sinus congestion that you don't even know you have can cause a sore throat.

Cancer would have to be ruled out via visualization (scope down the throat) to be 100% sure.

Also, silent acid reflux could be a culprit. It has no typical signs (heartburn or burning in the chest) - only chronic sore throats. However, with your other upper respiratory symptoms, I would lean more towards an allergy of some sort.

Let me know if I can help further....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it doesnt feel like the sore throat you get with acid reflux there is no burning i have been scoped like 2 month ago he didnt see anything but maybe a year ago he said i had acid reflux i am deathly araid of this as everyday this hurts soooo much especially the ear pain

I know it can be un-nerving. I am still thinking post nasal drainage or even the silent reflux.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would he had scene signs of cancer 2 months ago if i had developed throat cancer and because it is off and on does this mean less of a chance of it being throat cancer cause they say often when ur symptoms last so long it is time to worry at one point it felt like my throat was closing in on me at the base i am very worried

The closing in feeling could be completely related to anxiety. Yes, your Dr could have seen signs of cancer 2 months ago if you were still having the pain back then. However, if this is something new, a new look might be required.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No its not new i have had it off and on but this is the worse i have ever felt it so i am afraid i had done damage with my alcohol abuse i feel helpless and hoping everyday will be better but unfortunately it is not :(

Have you tried any acid reflux medications to see if they will help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes i have but nothing but the problem is as i dont know what gives me the releif makes me afraid to eat or drink anything

At this point, I would recommend setting up an appointment with your GI (Stomach) Dr and have a physical exam. They may decide to put you on a different medication to help control this and heal any erosions (if any) so that you will start feeling better. They may or may not decide to scope you again to be sure of what is going on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ut in your expert opinion do you feel this is far from cancer cause i am 30 i have no kids and not married and this iw ant to experience before i kick the bucket LOL

Well, it would hard for me to say yes or no to that specific type of question but it would be very unlikely if you had cancer. Just know that being checked out is the key to NOT having to deal with cancer (prevention is key).
Expert:  Karel1 replied 1 year ago.
I suggest you try an allergist. You might also try to purchase a cool mist humidifier. They are sold in local pharmacies like cvs or rite aid. The 2 best brands are the cvs brand around $25 and the vicks brand around $40. You must buy a package of filters which must be changed every 3 months or when get dirty as if not you will just reinfect yourself by breathing in the dirty filter..They also sell it on amazon. You simply fill the tub with cold water at night, You are going to put a tablespoon of table salt in the water. Plug in bedroom at night , close your door. The cold water filters the room, the salt dries up any secretions, and the throat is not dry. also if you have carpet where you sleep at night, place a garbage bag on the floor where you sleep to prevent the dust from irritating the throat. You also need to stop the alcohol. The abuse could have damaged your throat due to the alcohol burning as well as a gastroenterologist should be consulted if persist. however it sounds more like an allergy./sinus condition,but prevention is key to check with a gastroenterologist for esophagus, stomach trouble, allergist. Ear,nose and throat doctor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The damage would it heal or is is something permanent

Expert:  Karel1 replied 1 year ago.
If it is due to sinuses or allergies, it will, even to esophagus lining with medication it will heal, as the tissues need time to not having the alcohol damage them any more. Usually reflux medication can be taken life long but heals, nexium is a good one.