Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My husband has had swollen lumps under his arms for 5 months.

My husband has had swollen lumps under his arms for 5 months. They come and go and usually last about 5 days. They hurt on the first day they come up but are then generally painless. He has no other symptoms and feels generally well. Could these be swollen sweat glands as they only seem to appear around the outside of the armpit and not deep down in the middle. Your advise would be appreciated. Thank you
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Is he suffering from any chronic medical illness?
Does he has such swollen lumps under both arms?
Is he suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No he does not suffer from any chronic illness.

The lumps come and go under both arms.

He just takes Atorvastatin for high cholestral

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.

It could be sweat gland abscess (basically a clogged sweat gland). This condition is common in the armpit region.
It is common for this condition to trap sweat and/or bacteria into the tissue that surrounds the gland. Sometimes this condition will go away without treatment.
It could also be Lipoma, this is a harmless.
A Lipoma is benign (noncancerous) fatty lump that usually causes no symptoms or problems, it is made up from fat cells that clump together.

He can use warm moist heat pad or compress the area for about 15 min 2-3 times a day.
As blood test, have also been done, so i would not worry for any serious issue.
As the lump comes and goes, and he doesn't have any chronic medical issue, so i would not panic for any serious issue.
Good luck and take care.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer, if they were clogged sweat glands would they come and go so quickly ( they usually only last for a period of 5-7days) Thank you.

Dear XXXXX, Yes most likely it could be clogged sweat glands. This is a harmless and common condition in armpit.

It doesn't indicate towards any serious issue.
Yes, such clogged sweat gland would go and go away at time. Usually, they don't need any treatment.