Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Ive been having a painful burning pain in my groin, specifically

I've been having a painful burning pain in my groin, specifically around my right testicle. And burning when I urinate
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Since when is the burning?
Any significant past illness?
Any pain or tenderness in testes / scrotum?
Are you exposed to unsafe sex?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's been going on about 5 days. It originally started as a burning pain in my right waist. Now the pain is exclusively in the right side of my groin. I havent had any significant illness prior and I don't engage in unprotected sex.

Thanks Brian.

Your symptoms are suggestive of small stone (termed concretion) passing from kidney to bladder via Ureter (it is the tube which connects the kidney and bladder). An x-ray or an ultrasound with a routine urine exam should be able to confirm it. Following measures are likely to help;

1) Plenty of fluids; about 3-4 liters a day.
2) Azo / Pyridium; this is over the counter and resolve the burning.

The other possibilities of the diagnosis are;

a) Prostate infection (Prostatitis)
b) Epididymo-orchitis (Inflammation of testes and scrotum)

Again an ultrasound and urine exam would help in the confirmation of the diagnosis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what would be the likely causes of these infections?

Hello Brain,

The likely cause of these infections can inadequate intake of fluids (dehydration) and blood borne (as bacteria are all over which can travel via from areas like throat). Small stone, though is most likely the possibility.

It is privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I commit to bedrest or would it be safe to participate in sports?. I train martial arts and the training is quite strenuous.

Bed rest is not required but low physical activity is strongly recommended. Thus martial art training should not be done till this resolves.