Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have been experiencing lower back pain for six months, and

I have been experiencing lower back pain for six months, and now it is affecting my sciatic nerve. I have been going to a chiropractor since it began. He took X-rays and discovered the l5-s1 disc space is almost half the of the rest plus I have scoliosis. I have not been given any medication as of yet besides OTC. What should my next plan of action be?
Hi--did the chiropractor suggest an MRI of the lower spine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No he hasn't yet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Should I see a doctor if so what kind?
Sorry for the delay. Yes you need the MRI to look for a disk problem--either bulging or ruptured that is pressing on a nerve root. After that, I'd refer you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a customized therapy program that should relived your symptoms and make a surgical consultation unnecessary