Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have had tightness in my chest for years and been checked

I have had tightness in my chest for years and been checked out as just fine. I even get lightheaded. I know these are panic attacks but they are starting to cripple my life. I don't want to do anything for fear I will have a heart attack. I can't sleep, I miss exercising, that usually made everything go away. Just recently I started getting terrible headaches, and found that when having sex and I ejaculate it brings on a huge migraine that lasts for hours sometimes. Anything I can do to stop this vicious cycle? I do not eat junk food, I quit drinking all up a couple of weeks ago. I use to smoke a couple of cigarettes a day and i quit that when I quit drinking and still feel horrible. I have hypertension, controlled most of the time unless I really get myself worried. My stomach produces a lot of acid that I take medicine for but sometime does not work. My doctor now thinks that my stomach is the cause of all my problems HELP!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--first off, have you seen a therapist about the anxiety/panic attacks? How has your doctor evaluated your headaches and can you tell me more about the stomach problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't seen a therapist for years but when I did years ago they give me anxiety meds that do not work. And yes they have diagnosed me with panic attack but 24/7 this is getting out of hand. My doctor has checked my circulation and EKG and said stress was the cause but is going to run eye tests on me and eye pressure tests because I told him the pain was behind my eyes. I caught H-pylori in Bali about 15years ago and it caused 3 small holes in my upper GI. The doctor at the time cured this with a bombardment of strong antibiotics within a couple of weeks. Since then I felt better, this is when the attacks started coming on a lot, I was going to the emergency room an a regular basis. I have tamed myself from doing that, but constantly have tightness in my chest unless I am distracted with a few beers, sleep, or exercise. It all floods back, while I am working, at home trying to relax. If i do manage to fall asleep it all comes back shortly after i wake up.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any specific therapy besides just being given the meds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They did some feedback therapy. I got meditation, relaxation exercises that do help some of the time. The feedback therapy just made me feel more anxiety, and they kept me there in a ward because I was in Saudi Arabia working at the time and that is the only place they can give you Xanax. I work in Alexandria Egypt now, so not much help in that area here unless you have suggestions/

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So no cognitive behavioral therapy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not that I know of. Please explain.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It's very specific for anxiety and panic attacks. Take a look at this link and then get back to me

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=About_Treatments_and_Supports&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=7952
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK I think I understand. What type of tests are these that I should suggest to my doctor here?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry--what did you mean by tests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I meant therapy. How do I find out. From the link I believe they are panic attacks. My symptoms match everything I am reading about them. Where do i go from here?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Are there clinical psychologists where you are?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not that I know of. I am in Alexandria Egypt. Are there ant referrals for one around here that speaks good English?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Give me a minute to look into that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate this.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Here's one I found--take a look and then get back to me

http://www.yellowpages.com.eg/profile/MTg3NjUz/Psychiatric-Clinic-_-Dr.-Manal-El-Daghar.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much Dr. chip. You have been very patient with me. Have a great day.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure but let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice