911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I have several quarter size itchy spots on my face, side, hip,

Customer Question

I have several quarter size itchy spots on my face, side, hip, and arm. They are perfectly round. First time was 7 monthes ago. They went away, but a brown circle stayed there when the redness and itching went away. Came back 4 monthes ago and same thing. Went away, but left brown circle. Now they are back. It isn't ringworm because I've had that before. These come back in the exact same spots. This time I have a sore throat and fever with them.
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

Sorry to tell you this but you need to go back and see the dermatologist.

911Doctor :

The way that this works is a bit confusing

911Doctor :

Certainly what you are describing could be ringworm

911Doctor :

and you were treated for both a bacterial and a fungal (ringworm) infection

911Doctor :

and nothing happened

911Doctor :

the spots went away on their own but left some incresed pigmentation where they were

911Doctor :

now they are back in the same spot

911Doctor :

and likely what will be needed at this point is a skin biopsy

911Doctor :

as this does not appear to be fungal or bacterial

911Doctor :

so this is now out of the realm of 'common' skin conditions and into the realm of less common conditions

911Doctor :

some of the less common conditinos, discoid lupus for example, (not saying you have this, just using it as an example) can only be diagnosed by biopsy

911Doctor :

and the biopsy is usually reserved for recurrent conditions that do not respond to standard treatment

911Doctor :

it is very important for the dermatologist to see these spots while they are at their worst

911Doctor :

and not after putting creams or ointments on them

911Doctor :

as this confused the picture

911Doctor :

and going to your primary doctor at this point is probably not going to help

911Doctor :

because as primary care physicians

911Doctor :

we know the most common causes of skin problems,

911Doctor :

but the whole specialty of dermatology exists because there are literally thousands of possible causes for skin problems

911Doctor :

and primary care physicians are simply not trained to pick up the less common ones... it's impossible for us to know all of dermatology

911Doctor :

standing by

911Doctor :

to respond, simply place your cursor in the box below and click 'reply'

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you

Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.