Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.

I have a fairly hard lump on my upper thigh/curve of hip where

I have a fairly hard lump on my upper thigh/curve of hip where I fell on ice back in the winter. The impact was very hard. The area of impact got very hot to the touch, and there was a huge bruise there for a couple of weeks afterwards.
Also possibly relevant, the lump (just as the bruise was) is under a huge surgical scar from a hip replacement surgery I had to have following a bad car accident 12 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 12 months ago.

medtech254 :

Hello! What is your question regarding this bump?

Customer:

What could be causing it...should I be worried

medtech254 :

Given the injury you describe it is quite possible to be a fracture and this hard lump is scar tissue that has developed as a result.

medtech254 :

Did you get it checked out at all?

Customer:

A fracture? If it was a fracture, would that not have impacted the hip replacement? I was able to walk on it immediately, and the pain I felt seemed to be in the muscle, not bone.

Customer:

No, didn't get checked...I assumed a hematoma due to deep bruising but now thinking a hematoma would have gone away by now.

medtech254 :

A fracture would not necessarily cause a problem with the hip replacement depending on exactly where the point of greatest force impact was.

medtech254 :

The reason I say this

medtech254 :

Yes you are correct and that is exactly what I was going to say. A hematoma would have resolved by now.

medtech254 :

Since this area is still present the most likely origin is scar tissue.

medtech254 :

Here is the important thing though. Do you have discomfort from it and is the area growing?

medtech254 :

If it were infection in the area it would have gotten far worse and you would have had to go to the dr by now. That is why a fracture is most likely.

Customer:

It seems to me that the lump actually feels a little bigger now, especially if I lay on that side. And again, it feels like the lump is near the skin, not down deep at bone level. It hadn't felt uncomfortable, but is slightly sore when pressed. It might be a little bigger, hard for me to tell.

Customer:

What are the chances, given the injuries I described, that something else may be going on there? I had a sudden fear of something like lymphoma, but I also think that would be quite a strange coincidence given the fact that I have a metal appliance (hip replacement) there, existing scar tissue and the extensive deep bruising which took place when I fell.

medtech254 :

What I would recommend is that you go to your primary care physician either way. If this were a fracture it would show as a past injury and this would determine for sure it is scar tissue or not. It is possible that this could be other things like a tumor, cyst, etc. So if the x-ray is clean then it may be necessary to do a needle aspiration to establish exactly what the are is.

medtech254 :

Since you indicate that this area may be growing that adds much more concern and more reason to have it checked out in the office.

Customer:

I also wondered about calcified tissue from the impact. A few years ago I had to have a breast biopsy due to a lump in right breast. The doctor was sure it was cancer, but it turned out to be calcified tissue where my chest had been impacted from the deployed air bag at the time of the accident.

medtech254 :

That is possible as well but this would have to be established with some testing.

Customer:

How likely would you think something like a cancerous tumor...can an impact be a catalyst for something like that? No other lumps....kind of getting worried now.

medtech254 :

An injury will not increase the chances of a tumor developing. The best thing though I think it in most likely not cancerous is to get it checked out to be safe.

Customer:

OK, thanks...

medtech254 :

Since you had an injury and the area developed soon after it is probably related to the injury directly and not of a cancerous nature.

medtech254 :

Getting it checked out is the wise thing though/

Customer:

OK, I just worried when you said the fact that it might be getting bigger is a worrisome sign. I just can't be sure...a little paranoia may make it seem larger. It does seem worse if I sleep on that side. The lump is right on the wide part of the side of hip/upper thigh.
Thanks again.

medtech254 :

I understand that for sure. It is never good to think that cancer is a possibility but it is in this case although extremely unlikely.

Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.