Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My son has been getting several skin tags on his stomach this

My son has been getting several skin tags on his stomach this summer. He is a skinny 12 year old . We have read home remedies for removing them. What do you suggest
Hi--how large are these?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They aren't very big at all. Some are just like a pimple and 3 of them are like 1/8inch. The pimple like ones are jut like a white head on his tummy. No actual tag yet
Not to say you're wrong, but are you certain these are skin tags and how many are there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
3 of them are for sure. The other spots I am assuming they are. What else would it be
Well, skin tags are usually flesh colored or maybe a little darker than the normal skin color but they don't resemble whiteheads or pimples. May I ask what at home remedies you've read about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Three of th are flesh colored skin balls but the rest of them look like more spots where they maybe forming. We have done the duct tape thing and used compound w to freeze them off
OK. The basic ways a doctor treats these is either with electrocautery or cryotherapy (basically burning or freezing them off) or, maybe with a little local anesthesia, just snipping them off with iris scissors or a small scalpel. One old way if they're long enough is to tie a small suture or string at the base tightly enough to cut off the blood supply so that they just fall off. If compound W didn't help they're probably too broad based. Unless you want to try snipping them off quickly with a small scissors, I suggest you have a doctor take care of them
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
These other spots is that what the look like when they first start to form from the skin. White head like
Well that sounds more like small areas of folliculitis--hair shaft plugging with a blocked oil gland. None of this is serious but if that's what they are, tretinoin cream can help (and you can get that over the counter)