Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Back in the winter time...we have a wood stove, Id kneel down

Back in the winter time...we have a wood stove, I'd kneel down to fill it with wood. During that time, I started to notice pain in my right knee. Enough for me not to kneel on it any longer. It's been months since then and the pain has lingered. I still can not kneel on it without taking the pressure off right away. It hurts throughout the days no matter what I do - walk, etc...when I exercise or go up stairs it hurts a little more. The pain is a pain, not excruciating but it's there...it's not achy or anything, it's a pain that I feel when it's aggravated. I have yet to see a dr about it yet as I would stop exercising to see if it felt better. I would rest it and put it up when I can, and nothing seems to make it go away completed...sometimes it eases up for a short time...but it's still lingering. What could it be and what steps should I take first to have it looked at?
Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

medtech254 :

This can be one of several things including a physical injury to the area, gout, arthritis, etc. With these vague symptoms and the absence of an x-ray/mri or physical exam it is very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause.

medtech254 :

The first step is to get in with your doctor that can doa physical exam.

medtech254 :

He will then most likely order an x-ray or mri to determine the cause.

Customer:

That's what I thought. I was just trying to prepare myself a little.

medtech254 :

Over the counter pain medications like ibuprofen and normally used in cases like this. You may also find relief from elevating the area and applying cool compresses to the knee.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to try the cool compresses.

Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.