Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I had my wisdom teeth out last Friday. I feel pretty good

I had my wisdom teeth out last Friday. I feel pretty good for the most part, but the right side of my jaw is still swollen, and its closer to the front part of my jaw rather than by the extraction site. Is that normal? When will this go down?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--where exactly is the swelling? Any tenderness there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's on the right side about halfway between the extraction site and my chin. It is tender.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Is it actually on the jawbone or more in the cheek?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jawbone
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. No, this isn't normal and it could be one of two things--an infection in the extraction site with spread to that area or perhaps a parotid gland--salivary gland--inflammation. You might even have a stone in the parotid duct. You need to have this evaluated and I'd consider a ct scan to determine exactly what's going on here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would a ct scan show? Cancer? It was fine before the extraction.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, not cancer but it would identify an infection in the mandible and it would identify a stone in the parotid duct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that serious? Or something that can be easily treated?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Neither an infection nor a parotid duct stone is very serious--antibiotics for the one and a simple in office extraction by an ENT if it's a stone.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool. Thanks for the help. Ill get it checked out.