Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

My mom who is 85 years old has muscle cramps when she sleeps.

Customer Question

My mom who is 85 years old has muscle cramps when she sleeps. Her doctor has put her on medication but nothings seem to work. She found a remediy that she was told about called "Old Amish Formula" gets rid of cramps in 1 min. It is an organic that contains apple cider vineger and other stuff. I found it on the internet as well.

Caleb Treeze Amish Remedy

Caleb Treeze Organic Farm produces what they say is an old Amish remedy for leg cramps. The product is called “STOPS LEG CRAMPS” and is a combination of organic apple cider vinegar, natural ginger, and garlic juice. The company claims that “relief comes in about a minute,” with times varying from 30 seconds to two minutes.

It smells awful but an insight on this stuff ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--before I comment can I ask more about the cramping? Where is it located and how long has it been going on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is located both legs - from her ankle to her butt and this been going on for over a year.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Has she had any studies like an MRI of the lower spine and has restless leg syndrome been considered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No..should that be the next step ? Her regular Doctor has not recommended any of the above. This Home Remedy she want to try..what should i do ? Will it hurt her ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--just wanted to get more information and I would get the MRI and I'd consider a medication called Requip since this may be restless leg syndrome. As for the Old Amish formula, it's the apple cider vinegar that I'd consider the "most active" ingredient since apple cider vinegar is an effective antiinflammatory. The mix is safe for her to take but it may take several doses over time before she gets any relief. That said, I am obligated to tell you that she should discuss any supplement with her doctor before she takes it
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok Dr Chip..Is Requip available over the counter ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, sorry but it's by prescription only
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure--any time