911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

had a small hard lump appear on back of head by base of skull

had a small hard lump appear on back of head by base of skull on right hand side. Tender to touch and found little round circular lump on left hand side of head at the base of scull by ear. This isn't tender.

911Doctor :

likely to be a small sebaceous cyst.... something that might need to be drained by small incision

911Doctor :

very unlikely to be anything to worry about.

911Doctor :

how long have you noticed this

911Doctor :

?

Customer:

only came up today, i am on antibiotics at moment, doxycyline, it wouldn't be anything to do with this would it?

911Doctor :

no

911Doctor :

it would not

911Doctor :

if anything the doxycycline might help it a bit

911Doctor :

why are you on antibiotics?

Customer:

waiting for test results but they are treating for pelvic inflammatory disease

911Doctor :

ah, I see....

Customer:

what do you think the very small lump on left could be?

911Doctor :

usually those antibiotics are given intravenously, but nevertheless... this tender spot on your skull will likely resolve on it's own, it is not anything dangerous. if it is still there or gets more tender or painful I think it would be reasonable for your doctor to look at it in a week or so.

911Doctor :

I couldn't possibly tell you without being able to examine you

911Doctor :

but the skull has many protruberances that we may not notice until a situation like you are in where you have a bump on one side, so you naturally compare it to the other...

911Doctor :

exostoses are bony prominences that come off the skull and this would be as reasonable guess as any

Customer:

ok, i understand, but again you think its probably nothing to worry about, is that right?

911Doctor :

that's correct

911Doctor :

I think this will likely go away on its own

911Doctor :

and is most likely a small cyst

Customer:

Ok, Thank you. You have put my mind at rest. I will go to the doctors in the morning to just get it checked out. Thank you.

911Doctor :

very well

911Doctor :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. If this answer has been helpful to you please consider leaving positive feedback. Should you require my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc’, and I am usually on the site most days.

Best