Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

why do i get a head ach when working out and put my left arm

Customer Question

why do i get a head ach when working out and put my left arm over my head? It feels like my head is going to explode.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Do you get the headache in any particular part of your head, like the right or the left side or forehead?

Since when are you having the headache?

Have you seen a doctor yet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do 1 hour of cardio every day followed by 1 hour of strength training. I have been doing this since 1/2013 with no issues until about a week ago. The head ach is only on the left side of my head.

Thanks for your helpful info.

You could be having something called " an exercise or exertion induced headache". These types of headaches are mostly caused by dehydration associated with exercising.
The blood vessels on the left side of your head are inflamed by the dehydration which causes pain / headache by stimulating the nerves within these blood vessels.

Part of the trouble is that if you wait until you get thirsty while you are doing exercises,you're actually too late, and if you drink too much in one go your body won't be able to absorb all of it.

If you really want to treat your body right you should try to drink small gulps frequently, particularly while exercising.

Then again, if you're fully hydrated when you start working out you should be able to go at least one hour before dehydration actually becomes significant.

You should make sure that you keep yourself hydrated with plenty of water (and not juices only) and also take electrolyte supplements like gatorade during exercises. I am sure this will take care of the headaches. You can even take a pain killer like advil, if the headache is severe enough to interfere with your daily life.

Try to cut down on your coffee intake and alcohol, if you take them frequently.

However, if you continue to have the headache, you should see your GP for a clinical examination to exclude other common causes like sinus inflammation, eye problems etc.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you I will work on drinking more water practivy to prevent dehydration head achs.

I hope this helps you and relieves you of the headache.

It was a pleasure assisting you!

Hello Jann,

I see that you did not accept my answer. Is there anything else you need me to tell you. I would be glad to help you any further.
Thanks,
Dr. Bora.
Hello Jann,

How have you been doing?
Thanks,
Dr. Bora.
Hello !

How are you?

Do you have any more questions to ask?

I was waiting for a rating from you.

Thanks,
Dr. Bora.