Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I dont know if i can do this

Customer Question

I dont know if i can do this
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Of course you can do it, it's just a question of doing it--give it your best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will let you know
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I'll be here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ill let u know how it goes when i get my lun h break. My urine once again grew out e coli
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I told him some of it, but then he sais i was tensing up so she told me i should stop
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
How much were you able to tell him and what did he have to say?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the stuff with my brother and my brothers friend. He said that its normal to blame myself. That maybe im not ready to talk about it. And that i shouldny push myself
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So were you getting to the point where it was just too hard to keep talking about it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kind of. And then i felt like a loser for not being able to finish
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Did you actually "break down" as in cry or yell or act really upset?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i just kind of shut down
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK First off, I'm very proud of you for doing this. I know it was hard as hell. Second, you've just confirmed what I've though all along--this therapist just isn't competent at all for helping you with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He isnt too keen on me seeing a mayo psychiatrist. He asked my why i cant just share the info with my curret paychiatrist

Btw since i have a uti do i still need to see urology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I won't ever change my mind about the urologist. You're current psychiatrist would be fine IF she'd work with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do i wait until my utis
Gone before i ask for a referral
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry--had to be off. No you should make the referral now since it may take some time to be seen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I talked to the NP and she wont do it until im off the antibiotic and do another ua
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Can we please the bladder thing for a while then? She obviously isn't clinically competent to evaluate this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we can change the topic. I just wanted you to know that I DID ask for a urology referral
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I understand but you didn't give me the whole story, as is sometimes usual. So how are you feeling after today's therapy session?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What didnt i tell you the whole story about? I feel angry at myself for not finishing everything. I dint feel any differently
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You didn't start off with what the NP said so it sounded like you were trying to get me to say that if the blood cleared you wouldn't need to see the urologist. But at least now you don't feel any worse for talking about thouse things? And the therapist shouldn't have suggested you stop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there is blood in my urine again she said shed ask one of the drs what the next step is but anyways. The thought of doing a stupid thing has been in my mind. I shouldnt have been a loser and stopped
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
But those are old thoughts At least don't you feel a little relieved that you've started talking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i feel like a complete loser. And i told my therapist that too
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, I think you are a little relieved and what did your therapist say to your calling yourself a loser?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He says im not a loser and that its a common feeling
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Of course you didn't believe him I suppose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. And i told him i had plans on telling him everything and then i fail and dont do it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Your a very hard case--you don't want to give yourself one iota of credit when credit's due. You did it!! You started talking about it!! So what if you didn't finish? There'll be another day. But I don't agree at all with his suggesting you should stop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No so what I failed
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So it had to be perfect--it had to go exactly the way you planned it to? And stop ignoring what I said--anyone but you would say that you did very well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it had to go perfect. If it didnt go perfect today what are the odds of it going perfect when i see the mayo dr
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Nothing we do is ever perfect--it would be a very boring life if we could be perfect. The important point is you took the first step today. The journey's just begun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Itwasnt even a full step. I screwed up, you can tell me that
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No you didn't screw up and I'm not going to tell you that you did. Stop playing the old poor, poor, me tape
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im just telling you howi feel
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And I'm telling you what I think. Do it this way--and I know it sounds silly--look into your eyes in the mirror and say I'm not a loser and I was very brave today with what I did and I really want to get well. You need to do that on a regular several times a day basis. I know, sounds like mumbo jumbo but we need to work on rebooting your brain a little.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That really hard to do
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No it really isn't--it should be easier than talking to someone else about these things
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess you are right
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Give it a try--but you have to do it more than just once
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And again, kudos from me for what you did today. Anything else tonight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do i feel like doing something dumb
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Because you're sitting there repeating that old mantra "i'm a loser." Get up right now and go to a mirror and say what I told you over and over again for about two minutes and then get back to me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you mad at me
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--I just don't get why you ask me that all the time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did it. It made me cry
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's because you are arguing against your old tape about being a loser. You need to do it several times each time you try--even if it's through the tears
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont like crying
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just follow instructions please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fine
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I'm trying to keep you from doing something dumb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I told my therapist about wanting to do it. And all he said was why. And i told him idk. And that was all.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Seriously--he just isn't doing anything at all for you and probably hasn't all along
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Atleast i did try to reach out
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And again I'm very proud of you. I think he should consider another line of work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats not very nice. I dont know that i feel 100% safe tonight
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just saying he doesn't seem to know how to deal with a fairly common emotional problem. I can stay with you a bit and talk, but you know where exactly we can't go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you know i would feel like this after "sharing" my past
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You really aren't feeling much different from the way you usually feel about that. I think right now you just haven't had the time for it to sink in that you did something very positive today and got over a hump you've been avoiding up to now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just feels worse. But it doesnt matter because we cant talk about it anyways. I dont think my therapist took me seriously when i told him what was thinking
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Maybe not. But telling someone else that you think you're a loser and having them say no your not is not something that should really make you feel worse. And, no, I'm not saying I know exactly how you feel but I don't think tonight is one night you can't get through and start over in the morning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Idk. Tonight is really tough. Today was really tough. I am emotionally/physically exhausted
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So go to bed and get some sleep if you're that exhausted
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thoughts and images just run through my head
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Then put on some music or watch TV or something other than just listening to yourself
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Nite.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Night and again, I'm proud of you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you make that thought go away
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Get back to me in about three hours
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Tell me exactly what's going on right now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still feel really strongly like im going to do something dumb
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Did you do the little routine in front of the mirror this morning? What's your schedule like today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes i did. I work until noon
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well get back to me after you finish work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wonder if i should call my therapist and let him know im really strugglinh
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes you should
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think hes going to help me or just say "thats a common feeling for people who share"
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I don't know but give him a call anyway
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if he puts me on a hold?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just call him and stop with the what ifs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im being serious
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So am I--just call him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would you do
If you were my therapist and i called you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Where are we going here--are you afraid he'll commit you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You don't have to specifically talk about that--just tell him you're struggling with getting the thoughts and feelings about what you told him out of your head
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said its hard to help me over the phone. Said i have to number to the er and crisis center and that i have an appt to see him next week
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, at least you made the call. I'm not sure what I can do to get the thoughts out of your mind but you've been through this before and it does get better in time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its never been like this before
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
All I can say is if it's that bad you need the crisis center
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aint happening
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Then there's nothing more for us to talk about right now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess not. I was only reaching out for help
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And I'm trying but if were getting into forbidden territory I can only mention the crisis center
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its fine ill drop the subject
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible i have new ulcers? My epigstric region is on fire.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It can just be the gastritis, doesn't have to be ulcers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It could be. Would that cause some
Blood in vomit? In the past anytime ive had blood in my vomit
Ive had ulcers
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, gastritis, ulcers, bad esophagitis. Why are you vomiting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because when im really stressed i vomit because of my nerves
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well those are the possibilities
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And i refuse to be scoped again so im not telling my gi dr that
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Then enough said about that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish my health would get better
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My gyn said i have hemorrhagic cystitis
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's what I told you too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whats the treatment for it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Depends on the cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whats the typical cause
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Usually it's interstitial cystitis which is like an autoimmune disorder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do they test for it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Here's a link, but you aren't going to be happy with the info

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/interstitial-cystitis/DS00497/DSECTION=tests-and-diagnosis
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the tests for it are ishy
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Told you you wouldn't like what it had to say
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why isnt there any tests to test for it thAt arent ishy
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
We're starting to chat again and this page is old and long so we need to close it. The main point I've always given you is that your problem--whatever it may be--needs cystoscopy to diagnose
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice