Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Questions about whiteheads...

Customer Question

Questions about whiteheads...
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 8 months ago.
What more do you want to know and just for clarification what do you mean by whiteheads?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

zitz with the white dot on top of them...you told me a few times that whiteheads are good to calm my worst fears because it meant they have pus which is healthy?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 8 months ago.
Zits--acne--aren't the same as whiteheads. Acne with a white head to it means infection and the white is pus. Whiteheads are just plugged hair follicles with some old oil or sebum inside. If someone can create pus in any infection, they have to have a normal white count with healthy white cells
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

i had one on my nose yesterday and this afternoon in the mustache area above lips after i shaved...what are those?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 8 months ago.
If they're at all tender probably fooliculitis and slightly infected. If not, just whiteheads. Either way absolutely nothing to worry about
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

A little tender yes...I think caused by the razor blade?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 8 months ago.
Probably so but again nothing at all serious and certainly not a sign of your worst fear
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

you there Doc?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
Yep
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Cool. So I felt crappy all day yesterday and have been in bed still today (I am out on the west coast). I believe I suffered froma hangover on Thursday night but am not sure. Yesterday I had a headache, felt degydrated, had nausea and even had stomach issues, I felt so lousy yesterday that I cancelled a flight I was supposed to take this morning as a precaution and to rest today and fly tomorrow.

Should I be concerned at all that a hangover lasted a day (I think it's a hangover?) I also had slightly loose bowels this morning and yesterday evenng. Any meds I should take? No fever.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
How much did you drink the night before?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

probably about 10drinks, some cocktails, glasses of wine and some beers

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
OK--how did you treat this yesterday as far as food, fluids and anything over the counter? And how are you feeling right now?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

i drank a lot of water yesterday...food wise had pasta for dinner, slices of pizza for lunch. I had to meet someone for one drink last night for business and i felt likee gagging as i had a glass of red wine.

Today i have been mostly laying in bed so havent walked around or ate or drank anything yet.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
Why still laying around in bed?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

i am gonna get up soon, but just feel nervous on how i will eel when i am out and about...I also didnt sleep well last night as Ikept wakingup it seems every hour...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
So I guess you still have the old fear about something like this and what it might mean?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

No not thinking about the worst fear at all actually...just wondering what i should do make myself better today. any meds?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
OK--sounds for all the world like a bad hangover which is really just an overall reaction to too much booze the night before. For now--food, plenty of liquids, some ibuprofen or naproxen, and some extra vitamin C and zinc supplements should do the trick. And stay off the alcohol for a few days
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

ok. is it possible i got alcohol poisoning?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
No--that's entirely a different scenario. Just a bad hangover but I will say that ten drinks in any night is way over the mark if we're talking moderation
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

ok.should i try some pepto bismol?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
That's fine--just keep up with plenty of liquids--and don't spike the orange juice with vodka
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

i did consider trying to gag yesterday to see if i would throw up ...was that dumb?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
Does usually feel better when you do throw up but no need to try to make yourself do it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

hi Doc you there?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

sometimes my body feels hot lately even though i dont have a fever or anything...any explanation for this?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
I need to know more about the sensation and how long it lasts
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

just feel like body is on fire...but then if i go outside i feel fine if there is a breeze...i was justin a restaurant sitting at bar a few days ago and i felt this sensation of heat but then it would go away after 10 mins then come back

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
Sorry--that's awfully dramatic--really like your body is on fire?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

ok not on fire but like having heat flashes...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
And no blushing or flushing? Did you feel it especially in your ears?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

i dont think so, i was just having a casual dinner. didn't feel it in ears

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
But over every inch of your body?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

i feel it more neck up

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
That's what I was trying to get at with asking about your ears. Nothing more than a mild anxiety attack--same thing happens when, say, you're nervous about speaking in public or, like me, about to play the piano for a discerning audience. Nothing serious at all here.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

ok but i was just having a casual dinner and was no need for me to be nervous

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
I didn't say it had to be in an anxiety type situation--probably you flushed a little and then the sensation cause you to worry about what was going on. Again, nothing to worry about
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Ok the last 6, 7 night i have also not been sleeping consistently meaning waking up every few hours throughout night resulting in somewhat crappy sleep...how do i solve this

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
No nap taking during the day? How long does it take for you to get back to sleep once you wake up?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

noi dont take daytime naps,nor do i have time for them. Umm probably 10 to 30 mins after i wake up to fall back asleep...why is this all of a sudden happening to me?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
Boy you are a worry wort. Nothing heavy happening in your life right now? What are you thinking about just before you go to sleep?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

well this whole thing started almost two weeks ago when i had panick because i woke up with bites (mosquito likely) and i was paranoid as I fell asleep because i was worried about getting bitten...i since then got over this and got rid of a few mosquitos i found...however my sleep has not returned back to perfectly normal

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
So do you think the sleep thing is really a serious medical problem?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

no idea... do you?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
Not at all--just a problem with your anxiety from the bug thing before. For now you can try some valerian or melatonin at night for a few nights until your sleep cycle gets back to normal.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

how about ambien?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
If you have it fine but it should only be used for no more than three nights in a row
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Doc a relative just noticed that. I have swelling in the top half of my fingers above my knuckles and is concerned, what is causing this?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
This is something you didn't notice yourself? Can I have a photo?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Am in a car so will take me several hours to get you a photo. What could be possible causes?!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My relative is a doctor....I guess I never noticed
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
You can see it too? How much swelling and which fingers? What did the relative have to say?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I guess I see a little bit in the middle fingers especially...relative told me to see a doctor and had to go...
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
I really can't comment on this without a photo.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok just tell me this...is my life in danger?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
Absolutely not and I'm not even sure there really is anything wrong with your fingers. I do find it strange for a doctor, relative or otherwise, just to look at your fingers and tell you to see a doctor about it without saying what he thought was going on
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He had to pick up his daughter so he had to leave. Nothing related to the worst fear?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 7 months ago.
Absolutely not