Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Can overdosing on Benadryl cause cancer?

Hello Jen,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

How much Benadryl were you taking and for how much duration?

Since how long do you have low thyroid (hypothyroidism)?

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Benadryl varies, but I take it every night. I've had Hoshimoto's thyroiditis since I was 13 years old.

Hello Jen,

Do you want to know if the Benadryl causes cancer in Hashimoto's thyroiditis?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, I was thinking of them as two separate issues. I'm curious about the Benadryl and I'm also trying to find out the probability of thyroid cancer

Okay Jen.

There are no evidences that Benadryl causes cancer of either thyroid or any other cancer.

In the normal population; incidence of the thyroid cancer is less than one percent. Development of thyroid cancer in Hashimoto thyroiditis is rare and there is no direct association. So it would not be considered as a risk factor.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.