Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I recently had a CT-Venous Chest Pulmonary Veins in preparation

I recently had a CT-Venous Chest Pulmonary Veins in preparation for an ablation (A-Fib). The incidentals showed the following:

1. 4.1 mm groundglass nodule in the right upper lobe.
2. Hypodense left adrenal nodule.

Could you explain the above two abnormalities, please.
Hi--when did you last have a chest x-ray and was that normal? Are you a smoker?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've been in and out of the hospital over the last few weeks with persistent A-Fib so I've had 3 normal chest x-rays very recently.

I haven't smoked in 25 years. Before that I smoked a pack of cigarettes each day.

OK. Of course there are two things to discuss here. 95% of pulmonary nodules are benign and usually remnants of previous lung infections and in your case, I would get a PET scan of the chest and if the nodule appeared totally benign I would just follow it with another scan in about three months. As for the adrenal tumor, it too is likely benign but you do need some blood work to see if it's active and producing extra cortisol or adrenalin. These too are just usually followed with follow up scanning