Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Lately it feels like my memory is deteriorating. I smoked marijana

Customer Question

Lately it feels like my memory is deteriorating. I smoked marijana for nearly everyday for about 6 years. I posted a question at least three times here in regards XXXXX XXXXX smoking out of a plastic pen and wondering if it may have caused brain damage which everyone here has assured me it hasn't because there wasn't nearly enough exposure from inhaling melted plastic fumes.

I just feel like my memory isn't as sharp, my affinity for spelling is becomming duller, I used to be an excellent speller. A part of me wonders if this is some sort of prolonged marijana withdrawal effects or just a mid life crisis? If I go to the doctors, they'll probably laugh at me, otherwise I've thought about seeing a psychiatrist. I once had a friend who was really slow, I mean mentally but I think he used to do heavy drugs like meth. I was always told I was really smart and I generally still feel that way but also I feel like I am going crazy. An MRI or CT scan wouldn't really benefit me because this might be more depression related? Please give me some opinions.
Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

medtech254 :

I assume that you are no longer smoking marijuana, is that correct?

Customer :

Yes. Well. I smoked about a week ago, maybe two. My best friend still does but I'm doing my best to avoid it.

Customer :

I feel like I am a smart guy but also sometimes going crazy. I tend to overthink a lot of things and over analyze. I feel it is within my capacity to be smart and crazy.

Customer :

I have been online. I have read that a lot of people expeireince "brain fog" after quitting marijuana. There are times I feel like I am going to wake up and be "normal" also I just feel like a lot of it is in my head.

medtech254 :

Brain fog is common with many medications both legal and illicit including marijuana. It take some time especially given the length of your marijuana consumption for the chemical levels to return to what was normal prior to usage.

Customer :

I suppose. I'm not an expert but I know the TCH in marijuana does something with the enodrphins so essentially, I have sort of had depression, I assume it only made it worse. It doesn't seem to phase my friend though who is extremely smart. So you think my brain has to eventually realize that I'm not getting high everyday or something to that effect?

Customer :

*THC*

medtech254 :

The body adjust to the thc and other chemicals in the marijuana and having thc becomes the new "normal"

medtech254 :

once you remove this thc the body craves it

medtech254 :

that's withdrawl although not near as bad as most other drugs

medtech254 :

The chemicals will return to normal but you can have brain fog, anxiousness, etc for some time

medtech254 :

This normally resolves over 2-3 months but feels much longer.

Customer :

So in regards to my intelligence, obviously brain cells are killed in a lot of things we do, drinking, smoking.. Am I really getting dumber or is that just in my head? I have always been incredibly quick witted, I just feel duller lately. I don't know if that is a chemical imbalance or what? I did take a spill a month ago or so but the fall wasn't traumatic.

Customer :

I guess the best thing I can do is to wait it out even though I feel like I have depersonalization issues, not really so much loss of identity but just yesterday I literally slept in, got up focues on something and was rather tired again. just fatigue mostly i suppose.

medtech254 :

This would be normal for anyone that has abstained from long term drug use. This slowness is related to the body craving thc and it does not show that you will be in this state permanently.

medtech254 :

You have to clear your head for about 3 months and then see how you are doing. Enough time should have passed from the thc intake and you will see what your real "normal" feels like.

medtech254 :

If you are still having problems that would be the time to look into them.

Customer :

Well thank you. I do feel a bit better. I really don't think I've damaged myself that much long term. My memory still isn't where I want it to be. It feels like retaining some information is really hard. Anyway. I should have never smoked in the first place but I can't take that back. I'm not sure there is any medication that could help me. Time will tell though. Thank you again.

medtech254 :

You are very welcome! Unfortunately time is the only thing at this point that will help resolve your issues. Once 3 months have passed though if you are still having problems you need to see a doctor and see if you may benefit from medication.

medtech254 :

Good Luck to you! Given time you should be back to normal with no lasting effects. Please remember to rate our chat today before you leave and come back anytime you need additional information.

Customer :

ah. i was going to ask one more question.

Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
Please don't forget to rate so I get credit for my answer. Thanks!
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
Sure what was your question?
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
Did you have another question?