Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

Hello....Can you tell me why my partner always gets indigestion

Hello....Can you tell me why my partner always gets indigestion when he drinks water? He usually pounds down a 12oz glass all at once. He also says it makes him feel "sick to his stomache" Thanks!

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

Does your partner have any gas problem?

mysticdoc :

Acid reflux and gas problem can cause this issue with water.

mysticdoc :

water can cause displacement of the gas and acid resulting in the uncomfortable feeling.

mysticdoc :

Another possibility can be electrolyte problem --too much water can reduce serum sodium, potassium level

mysticdoc :

This should be checked out.

mysticdoc :

Gatorade or fruit juice is better

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Customer: Thanks. Yes, he gets gas/belching no matter what because he is obese and a parAplegic. He normally is low sodium when he has his CBC. He is prone to dehydration so he must drink half his body weight and he is 255. How can he get all the water he needs? Oh, he also gets lightheaded at times but I check and the BP is ok. What could THAT be? Thanks

Hi there. It seems the other expert is not online at the moment.

You had asked how he can get all the water he needs. He really needs to be drinking fluids all during the day. Since the large amount makes him feel sick, I would suggest him drinking 4-6oz's at a time instead of 12. He can drink this amount every hour or so and this should help the uncomfortable feeling he is getting.

Lightheadedness could be from the possible dehydration, a heart rhythm problem, exposure to heat, blood sugar, -any number of things. Lightheadedness is non-specific to any one particular illness so it would be good for him to have a physical with his regular physician and some routine blood work (that's a good place to start).

Let me know if I can help you further.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Thanks. So if he drinks 12oz per hour and is awake 10 hours he will get 120ozs He should drink the 12oz over the hour slowly. When should he stop drinking though to prevent having a full bladder at 6 AM? Also, why is drinking a big glass of water bad right before bed and how can one prevent dehydration? Thanks for all your help! Does tea and coffee count toward your daily water requirement?

Hi there! He doesn't have to drink a whole 120 oz's of water per day. Usually 64 oz's is the recommended standard. I was recommending that if he is going to drink say - a bottle of water (16 oz's), to do it slowly... not all at one time.

The problem with drinking a huge amount of water at one time is that his stomach can't hold it all and it tries to come back up the esophagus (like acid reflux can). Drinking a large glass of water right before bed will 1) cause the person to need to urinate during the night (interrupted sleep) and 2) can cause the water to come back up into the esophagus in a lying down position.

And yes, drinking tea and coffee does count toward the daily water requirement.

And of course, if he is active and/or in the heat, he will need additional water throughout the day to stay hydrated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Thanks. Lastly. You mention 64ozs as the standard but I thought it went by the weight because the bigger you are the more cells and the more water Each cell needs(they are thirsty little devils). No?
Yes, the bigger the individual, the more water one would need (require). But the recommended 'standard' per se is 8, 8oz glasses of water per day. That has to be adjusted for activity level, exposure to elements, etc....and of course, size of the person. (and we are talking adults here...not children).
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.