Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

Had some shoulder blade pain that I could feel when breathing

Had some shoulder blade pain that I could feel when breathing in or bending over to tie my own shoe to a point where I couldnt really even tie my own shoe.. but it comes and goes, saw my primary who established it was just tight muscles and sent me home with Muscle relaxants and Ibprohphen. Pain goes away.. all well and good. Today the pain starts again after sleeping on my right side, right back in the shoulder blade. I could at least tie my shoe! However this is where the problem lies.. and im a tad concerned.. I was checking my elbow for a bruise for when I smacked it a few days before, and i turned my shoulder and my arm to see, all while i had my hand flat on the desk and then heard rappid snapping and a crunching noise.. waited for pain.. there wasnt any.. and the pain in my shoulder blade has gotten better.. not 100 percent.. but better.. Did I end up putting my shoulder back in to place or was that just all muscle that snapped at once?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 12 months ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

It is likely due to the muscle sapsm.

mysticdoc :

Your pain is located on the right side shoulder blade.

mysticdoc :

This is not heart related.

mysticdoc :

You do not have any other symptoms like shortness of breath, cough etc.

mysticdoc :

So lung problem also can be ruled out.

mysticdoc :

The crunchy noise can be from the ligaments and muscles stiffness.

Customer:

no shortness or cough

mysticdoc :

They may make the bones 'frozen' causing the noise.

Customer:

wow..so more or less the tension just finally let go?

mysticdoc :

yes correct

mysticdoc :

massage also may be helpful.

mysticdoc :

And take a break from sitting or lying on one position.

Customer:

well, i noticed it started like 3-4 weeks ago after sleeping on my right side.. i try to sleep on my left now.. but i find i wake up on my right and then forget it lol that right side is just so sensitive now.. like its even tender to touch and so on

Customer:

like the shoulderblade i mean

mysticdoc :

yes --this is likely from the sleeping position.

Customer:

I have cervical stenosis to begin with, but that appears under control for the most part

mysticdoc :

This can make the muscles stiff.

mysticdoc :

that is good.

mysticdoc :

once you start paying attention to the posture and the problem, it does get bettter

Customer:

ok, thank you! im relieved to know its not heart related! because that was in the back of my mind too LOL

mysticdoc :

no it is not.

mysticdoc :

do not worry

Customer:

i was just more afraid either i damaged something or popped something in or out of place because the pop snap crunch was so loud i froze and waited for the pain to kick in

mysticdoc :

that can be from the joint motion.

Customer:

but nothing happened, and then the pain in the blade got better.. but i can still kinda feel it if i take a deep enough breath but again.. i think thats just the muscle

mysticdoc :

Unlikely any displacement.

mysticdoc :

yes it likely muscle and ligament related

Customer:

:) thank you :) i appreciate it :) Ive been able to keep my anxiety in check for a while now but every so often I need a helping hand :) thank you so much :)

mysticdoc :

very welcome

mysticdoc :

you are doing well.

Customer:

have a good night :)

mysticdoc :

you too!

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD