Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Painful swelling inside thigh just above knee on one leg. Possible

Painful swelling inside thigh just above knee on one leg. Possible cause?
Hi--how long has this been going on and any trauma involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr chip,

no trauma and it's been about a week. I thought it might go away - just soreness in a patch at first on left leg, but now see slight swelling and soreness not abating.

OK--is this just located in the one area or is more of the inside of the upper leg tender?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just one area from top of the knee in a kind of circle or patch on the inside thigh.

I recently suffered from a bulging disc lower back but that has abated and think it not related as this is more local on the outside as if reacting to a bite (tho large and not internal)

No, this is not at all related to the disk problem. This sounds like bursitis and if it isn't getting better you may need a cortisone injection if antiinflammatories and heat don't help. I'd get an MRI of the knee to check to make sure it isn't a tendonitis problem but without any trauma involved, that's unlikely