911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I started showing symptoms of numbness on my left side of face

Customer Question

I started showing symptoms of numbness on my left side of face and arm back in March they thought I was having a stroke but X-rays and tests said normal, now for the past month I've had pain behind my left eye that worsens when I bend over cough sneeze laugh and a dull pain constant pain on left side of face all the time. Had MRI w and wo contrast that said normal, eye exam that said normal, neuroligst says its a migraine . I've had migraines since I was 9 yrs old now 50 . It is not a headache pain more pressure no sinus congestion or drainage. Drs say just treat symptoms. I want to know what is causing the symptoms! I just finished up 5 years of Arimidex for breast cancer. I also take benicar for high bp but bp has been normal. Also no teeth problems. Any suggestions as to how I can find out what is causing this pain and pressure ? I can't live like this
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

I understand you wish to know what is causing this, but the fact is that you have had an MRI and been evaluated by an ophthalmologist and a neurologist. I wonder how I might help you here on this site?

Customer : No one can answer what is causing this pain and numbness on my left side of face and eye?!?
Customer : They say they don't know! But it's there!
911Doctor :

I understand that, it must be very frustrating for you. But I am wondering how I can help you here.

911Doctor :

Are you still seeing the neurologist because it seems to me that a neurologist is going to be the kind of doctor that will diagnose you.

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer : He says he can't because the MRI showed normal so I went to eye dr and to my family dr who say they don't know so treat the symptoms with pain meds! That is not acceptable to me! I want to know who can diagnose this for me. Five years ago I had to go through 12 drs .... Not 1 not 2 not 3 or 4 but 12 before someone would listen to me about my breast bleeding! They all saw the X-rays mris and mamo.... Took 12 before one of them agreed to do a biopsy, they found cancer and now only have one breast. If I had listened to them I might be dead now . I know my body! I know what feels normal and what doesn't! This numbness and pain is not normal. Now I ask you..... If it were you!!! What would you do?
911Doctor :

Are you anywhere near an academic medical center? A University hospital?

Customer : I live in Las Vegas nv? For three years now not sure what they have
911Doctor :

They have a fine medical center there. I think you would do very well to see a headache specialist. In the second reference I sent you there is an entity called Hemicrania Continua, it is hard to diagnose and poorly understood.

911Doctor :

This may be in play with you

911Doctor :

at the least

911Doctor :

you need to get to a neurologist who specializes in headache diagnosis and treatment

Customer : I see your in Tn so were the 12 drs I saw in Knoxville ! Where are you?
911Doctor :

You may take comfort in the fact that your eye exam and MRI are normal

911Doctor :

I am near Nashville

Customer : I do have a renal artery aneurysm any way that might be related
911Doctor :

No, no way.

911Doctor :

Have they repaired it?

Customer : Really because of my past issues with people reading test .... I don't trust one persons diagnosis
911Doctor :

I can see that

Customer : I see a dr at vanderbilt for my aneurysm
911Doctor :

I thought you said you were in Las Vegas?

Customer : It was very small and he monitors it I'm past due for MRI on that
911Doctor :

I see. Vanderbilt has an outstanding headache clinic. Can you take your case there?

Customer : I do live in Vegas I used to live in Knox Tn and saw him there I have MRI every couple years and send him the test to read and monitor
911Doctor :

I see

911Doctor :

When was the MRI of your brain and your opthalmologic exam?

Customer : Op ex was last week all they found was a small pressure on left eye MRI was June 5 2013 last month
911Doctor :

what do you mean by 'small pressure' on left eye?

Customer : Would a check from ENT help? I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for answers now
Customer : Not sure she said small pressure but wasn't much reading of 27 that could indicate glaucoma down the road
911Doctor :

a reading of 27 is abnormal

911Doctor :

I'm curious why he didn't think you could have glaucoma?

Customer : They said it was normal but a little high what is normal
911Doctor :

normal is usually up to 20

911Doctor :

I agree that 27 isn't a crazy number

911Doctor :

but am curious that you have pain behind that eye and have an elevated pressure in that eye

911Doctor :

but they do not think this is related.

Customer : She put me through a series of tests vision was 20/20 and 20/25
911Doctor :

I see

Customer : I can't read hardly anything in front of me without readers but far away is good
911Doctor :

okay

Customer : Ok what do you suggest? Would it also cause my other symptoms ... Pain and numbness
911Doctor :

could cause pain, not numbness

911Doctor :

Did you by chance see Dr Ansarinia in Las Vegas?

911Doctor :

A neurologist?

Customer : Ok I guess I need to rule out them all one at a time
Customer : what about ENT? Or dr to check my bp blood flow? Arteries? Heart issues? I don't know!
911Doctor :

You have already had the million dollar workup

911Doctor :

The MRI is the most important thing

911Doctor :

The ophthalmology evaluation being the second most important thing

911Doctor :

I think it is time to see a headache specialist

Customer : No saw dr Simon Farrow who has the bed side mannerisms of a piss ant!
911Doctor :

I do not think ENT will have anything at all for you with a normal MRI

911Doctor :

I just searched for headache specialists in Las Vegas and found Dr Ansarinia

911Doctor :

He is board certified in Neurology and specializes in diagnosing and treating headaches

Customer : Ok any suggestions for a headache specialist? Here in Vegas? I'm not too confident in the drs I've seen so far. I'm very picky as you can see don't like meds I want answers then ill deal with what I have to treat with.
911Doctor :

yes, I just typed it above, Dr Ansarinia, can you see that?

Customer : Yes I see that
911Doctor :

Here is his contact info and address from healthgrades.com

911Doctor :
2835 S Jones Blvd
Las Vegas, NV 89146
(702) 703-6863
Customer : Ill give them a call but still is a neurologist
911Doctor :

yes, he is a neurologist, those are the specialists who deal with headaches that do not have a structural cause like a brain tumor.

Customer : But this is more pressure than headache
911Doctor :

nevertheless, it is a headache by definition. a headache can cause all types of pain including pressure.

911Doctor :

a migraine can have only visual symptoms for instance

911Doctor :

and a migraine can cause abdominal pain

911Doctor :

so this is the next best bet for you in getting this figured out

911Doctor :

are you there?

911Doctor :

I see you have stepped out of the chat.

911Doctor :

we chatted for about 50 minutes and I think I answered all your questions

911Doctor :

please consider leaving positive feedback as it is the only way experts on this site are reimbursed for their time.

911Doctor :

good luck with getting this problem properly diagnosed and treated.

911Doctor :

I hope you have complete relief from this problem.

911Doctor :

best

911Doctor :

911doc

Customer : Yes sorry thank you
Customer : youyou you have been more help than any drs here
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.