Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

SEEKING ENT SPECIALIST or expert with ENT-knowledge, ASAP.

I already have a chronic bilateral ethmoid infection and definitely don't want to make it worse. I have been using the NeilMed Sinus rinse 3 times weekly for the past couple of years and now need to know if, using the saline rinse can possibly push "bad" bacteria back into my ethmoid sinuses or if the saline actually just circulates through the nasal passage and doesn't get into the ethmoid and other sinuses.
I had a dental exam and conversation with a dentist yesterday, who, I later realized, may not have been healthy at the time. And, since my mouth and nostrils were uncovered, I'm now concerned that I may have gotten some new "bugs" in there.
MY MAIN QUESTION AGAIN: Would doing a NeilMed sinus rinse irrigation flush those potential bugs out of my nose or would that potentially make it worse by pushing possible bad bacteria back into my already affected ethmoid sinuses? Thank you for your prompt response.
Jon
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Using saline rinse in nose is not going to give you any harm. It is beneficial in every aspect because there are small hairs in nose and they are meant to push the nasal secretions back in throat. They require moisture for their proper working, saline provide that moisture. After operating patients with ethmoid problems, i recommend then to use saline rinse. So in your case i would suggest that you should use it. It's not going to give you any harm and it washes the infection rather than propelling it in ethmoid. I hope this helps you, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Hasan, My apologies for the delay in rating you. I thought that I had already done so last week and haven't been back on the site or looked at my JA related email since. I do have another question or two regarding your answer but I went ahead and rated you first. I will send the reply tomorrow or Friday. Thanks,

Jon

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Jon you are most welcome. Your satisfaction is our goal, yes sure please feel free to ask anything you want. You will always get good and practical answer. If you ask new question, you can add " for dr Hasan only" in the beginning. Regards.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi again Dr. Hasan, I have some new ENT-bacteria questions-- that are related to the previous questions that I asked you back in July. But, I will rate you again for these if you are qualified to answer.

You didn't mention your medical specialty, On that note, please let me know what your specialty is, and if you have a strong background in ENT and infectious disease. If not, I will have another M.D. respond. Thanks.

I now realize that I was asking you the "wrong" questions then.

I should have been asking you, "How long can I use a new bottle of steam distilled water for a NeilMed sinus rinse before changing to another new one?"

Actually, that question is answered by Dr. Mehta (the NeilMed sinus rinse "creator") on his website that I saw today-- He clearly states:

In order to ensure its purity, we recommend that you use distilled water within three days of breaking its seal (the same goes for previously boiled water). Once opened, bottled water is exposed to bacteria. Keep it in a cool dry place between uses, away from sunlight and heat sources, to inhibit the growth of bacteria...

Yet, although I very carefully cleaned the NeilMed bottle and cap and also kept the distilled water bottle as clean as possible when opening and closing, I very stupidly used the same large one gallon bottle of unrefrigerated, room temperature, steam distilled water for NeilMed sinus rinses until the bottle was completely empty-- which, using the 8oz NeilMed sinus rinse 3x/wk, would be for approx 4-5 WEEKS!

And, I had been doing that for at least two years (resulting in 300 apparently "contaminated" NeilMed sinus rinses) prior to my ENT appt this past June. Since then, I have only rinsed 1x/wk and changed to a new distilled water bottle after approximately TWO WEEKS! (Still terrible, bacteria-wise.)

Anyway, I'm now very upset, depressed, and worried, that instead of being of benefit, every time that I used the NeilMed sinus rinse I squirted 8oz of bacteria-laden saline throughout my nasal and sinus passages-- especially into my already chronically infected bilateral ethmoids.

My sinus-related symptoms have not seemed to become worse during that time. And, on my repeat annual sinus CT in June, it was "unchanged" since the original three years earlier. And, again, although the distilled water bottle was not refrigerated, I was very careful to keep the contents and cap very clean while quickly opening and closing it (immediately.)

On that note, is it possible that, while the "contaminated" NeilMed sinus rinses were not of any benefit, I also somehow didn't make things worse, sinus-wise (regarding my bilateral posterior ethmoiditis or other sinuses)?

And, obviously, from now on, any time that I do use the NeilMed sinus rinse, I'm going to use a fresh bottle of distilled water. But, now I'm afraid to use it at all-- especially if it can potentially do a lot more harm than good.

Again, if you are qualified to answer these ENT-infectious disease questions please let me know, ASAP. And, also please let me know, ASAP if you are not-- so that I can quickly let a more qualified expert answer them. Thanks again for you very prompt response either way.

Sincerely,

Jon

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 11 months ago.
Jon thanks a lot for getting back to me. Yes i am an ENT specialist working in a university medical hospital so i am totally qualified to answer your question. I have special training in sinus surgeries so again a favourable point from your perspective. Coming to your question, you have not done any harm by using that sinus rinse. Although yes it is true that leaving the saline for more than 3 days promotes the overgrowth of bacteria but fortunately our nose has special system for controlling these bacteria. Imagine that we keep breathing air full of bacteria all the day but never get bacterial infection, why it is so? Our nose has special antibodies that process these bacteria. So even if you were using contaminated saline, you were still providing moisture required for nasal ciliary function and the bacteria were being processed by the nose. You should be careful next time. Let me tell you how to make a good nasal rinse which you can make daily. Take one litre of tap water, boil it, let it cool, add one table spoon of salt and one table spoon of baking soda in it. Mix them and rinse your nose daily with this. You can make new solution daily, it will take just few minutes. I wish you all the best for a good health, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dr. Hasan,

Thanks for the prompt response. I rated, paid, and tipped you for that.

I now have other ENT questions to ask you-- that may be of concern for me (but hopefully not.) , but, I will open a new thread for those and ask for you specifically. Hopefully, you will be online sometime later today. Thanks again.

Jon

Yes sure Jon, anytime . Please remember to start the question with "for dr Hasan" only. I am here to grok you always. Regards