Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

About a month ago I noticed my scrotum area was swollen. It

About a month ago I noticed my scrotum area was swollen. It was red and looked to have several bug bites on it. We had just been in the woods and I did not think anything off it.

The swelling went down quite a bit the first few days but some lingered, and will at times grow. One side is quite a bit bigger and new I am starting to feel something in my upper pelvic area on the same side that is swollen. Wondering what is going on.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Are you saying that one side of your scrotum is swollen but there's no redness any more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is correct

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is correct

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--any swelling in the groin area on the same side and what exactly is going on in your upper pelvic area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I noticed when I bent down to pick some stuff up the other day there was slight pain and presure that travelled up into my lower pelvic area. Lateral to the ridge on my hip bone. I could feel it travel down into my private area.

I did not feel anything in my stomic wall that fit the description of what a hernia should feel like. Assumed it was related to what was going on down below.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. You need an evaluation and an ultrasound of the scrotum. Two possibilities here--an indirect hernia that is moving into the scrotum without the direct component that causes the usual groin lump, or a hydrocele which is a collection of fluid just in the scrotum. The first requires the usual hernia operation and the second can be drained and sclerosed (scarred) with a needle and syringe, but most often surgery is better for that too.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice