Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I am getting blood work done for cardiac reasons. Now, I have

I am getting blood work done for cardiac reasons. Now, I have a respiratory problems in the past and had a episode recently. I have been taking anabolic stories for a couple months now and I am going to see a cardiologist here in the next week for my shortness of breath, tightening of the best, XXXXX XXXXX the chest ect. The recent blood test they took was to see if I was going into cardiac arrest or if there was a sign of it; luckily it came back negative and they informed me that my white blood cell was high. Now the question I have for you since you're a medical proffessional. Do you think this cardiologist has any suspicion that I am using performance enhancing drugs or the test he will run show up positive for these drugs. If so what test will this cardiologist will run? My physician said he was going to do a gaily monitor and/or an ultra sound on my heart. Please give me any helpful information possible.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

The blood investigations done to assess cardiac functioning usually they don't do those tests which detect steroid use.

But still these anabolic steroids can raise blood sugar or alter the liver enzymes

It is possible for tests to detect synthetic/anabolic steriod use.

There are specific test for detecting testosterone in blood that would not correspond to normal levels of natural testosterone of the body, but that would have to be specifically noted to be tested for on the blood work (it is not a "routine" test).

There are also other body samples that can be tested as new technologies arise, such as in the urine, saliva, even hair samples.

However anabolic steroids can result in adverse effects like

Increased low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (the bad cholesterol)
Decreased high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (the good cholesterol)
High blood pressure (hypertension)
Heart and circulatory problems.

So further Ultrasound heart, echocardiogarphy, Holter monitor should be done in your case.

I hope this helps.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So on a normal blood test they run for cardiac issue will anything show up that can give them the suspicion that I'm using these performance enhancing substances? They already did one blood test and it hey took it from my veins in the ER and they were administering the "basic" cardiac distress blood work and it came back with a high blood cell count. Now with the being said could that give me the idea I'm using steroids. For cardiac reasons will they administer a urine or hair sample? I can see MAYBE a urine sample but will they? I just don't want the cardiologist to test for these drugs and can I deny seeing a cardiologist? I'm not fully obligated to see a doctor correct? I haven't seen the cardiologist yet but if they call and schedule an appointment can I refuse?

I'm just worried about a cardiologist finding out that I'm using. Lets say hypothetically my blood work comes back with one or more of these conditions can they diagnose me with something else rather than using steroids:

High blood pressure (hypertension)
Heart and circulatory problems.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.
Well routine blood work to screen cardiac issues don't detect anabolic steroids.
And such high WBC count can be caused due to underlying infection.
For cardiac reasons urine and hair sample are usually not required.
Cardiologist usually check blood work like Lipid panel,kidney function test,Complete blood count,Urine routine examination and investigations like Holter monitor,EKG,Ultrasound Whole abdomen,Echocardiography.
So you should be seen by your cardiologist to rule out underlying cardiac pathology which can be serious.
As your blood work is fine so your LDL and HDL cholesterol may be within normal range.
Your blood pressure might be checked at ER.
So you should consult cardiologist as per scheduled.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to start off by saying thank you for your response.

Last and final questions: do you think a cardiologist will be suspicious of anabolic steroids and test for them. I'm bigger than your average male however I don't give off the bodybuilder freak of nature appearance. I'm just nervous that they will test for it. Based off the informationi have you do you think they will test for anoblic agents in my blood. Also with the WBC count being high does that give them the idea of the use of steroids? I'm scarce for my health right now and I don't want them to know/find out I'm using. Also is it my right to deny the testosterone level test or decide to not follow up with the cardiologist? Also will they inform me I they were running the test rather than doing it behind my back?

Usually the doctors do inform the patients to undergo the test and explain the reasons for ordering the test.
And the blood samples are taken in the lab collection centre or diagnostic centre.

You have the right to refuse the testing.

Secondly usually doctors don't test for anabolic steroids in routine and they will check for infectious disease with a high wbc.

They will ask for a complete blood picture(PBF),ESR levels etc.

I hope this helps

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.