Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

How can elderly go to vacation in hot climates and be safe

Do you have experience with seniors capacity in hot climates and how they survive best? (After all, air conditioning is a new invention.) We are wondering if there is a way to have a short vacation of 4-7 days or so in a very hot climate like Key West Florida...(we would choose another area, but budget limitations and want to feel like we are really going somewhere different)

_ What precautions or warnings for a family vacation with grandchildren and have grandparents come along.... But being a place like the Keys... will it harm them even though they bring water and electrolyte drinks and hats and wear light weight clothing and stay out of the heat as much as possible which defeats the purpose if they have to stay indoors? How long can they stay out in a hot climate? Can you give me some guidelines for managing the outings we take with them in such a hot climate? Is it doable or must we leave them behind? We never did anything like this in 20 years and i would like to try. My Father would love to go big game fishing at 86...THey are both frail although my Father plays pingpong once a week and neighter work out and are losing muscle tone. But i have them both on denatured whey protein shakes. If you think any geriatric caregivers or elderly physical therapists that are on this site and would know more, please refer the question to them instead if you are not that experienced with this.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Do any of you have any histoy of vaso vagal attacks / fainting in the sun?

Do the elderly have history of high blood sugar or high blood pressure?
You did not provide me the essential information that I required, but I will help you with an answer.

• Drink plenty of fluids but avoid beverages that contain alcohol, caffeine or a lot of sugar.
  • Eat more frequently but make sure meals are balanced and light.
  • - See more at: http://states.aarp.org/hot-weather-safety-tips-to-beat-the-heat/#sthash.MFQkVebe.dpuf
    Firstly, you should drink plenty of water, dress in light-weight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing, create your own shade, wear a wide-brimmed hat for working in the sun, eat lightly,avoid hot, heavy meals and opt for foods high in water content: fruits, salads, and soups.

As for the elderly, they need special care like drinking electrolyte solutions like gatorade to prevent any electrolyte imbalances, the most likely outcome of heat exhaustion.

The young children should be protected with individual shades, hats etc and they can drink pediatric solutions like pedialyte. These are availabe OTC.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my father has diabetes and my mother has an enlarged aorta... i need more statistic information like how do seniors handle hot climates....I know about the elecrolite issue and light clothing as i mentioned above in my first post.

XXXXX XXXXX, a Dallas physician who specializes in geriatric medicine, told that caregivers should stay on the alert for signs of confusion or altered mental states in seniors who are out in hot weather.
    According to XXXXX XXXXX,electrolyte imbalances could be more dangerous in diabetic people, so besides keeping supplements like gatorade, you
    can keep frozen treats available that have a high water and low sugar content, like sugar-free Popsicles . Or serve fruit with a high water content, like watermelon.

You should carry along all the medicines that your parents take on a regular basis.

Seniors sometimes dress inappropriately for warm weather, so make sure that their clothing is lightweight, not form-fitting and light in color. Hats are useful, but make sure that they are loosely woven or ventilated so they don't trap heat and broad-brimmed so they shade the entire face.

These are mostly the ways how seniors can handle heat outside their homes. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that, besides dressing appropriately it is important that they drink more and eat light meals.
    I am sure that this will take care of the elderly. Hope you enjoy your vacation.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so how long can a couple as i mentioned 76 and 86, hold out on an outdoor outing on a hot humid day in florida,,,,,one that might not have much of a breeze and 97 degris in FLorida...

Even though they have water and hats and light clothing...Can they go on an outing lasting 2-3 hours only staying outside in 97 heat?....And replenishing the body with all the above should be all that is needed?

They should not be outside for more than3 hours, at best 2 hours with all the precautions(already mentioned in my lat post).

Within this limited time span, keeping he body hydrated with appropriate drinks is just sufficient. In case they feel uneasy in the heat, remove them to a shady place immediately and make sure to give cold water but not ice. Ice is unhealthy and can make the condition worse.
    Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what about food snacks....so stuff like icecream and smoothies ice slushies,, that sort of thing that is a draw in hot touristy climates is not good or just straight ice?.....

No, ice cream and smoothies are good enough.Just avoid sucking pure ice which can reduce the water content of the body causing further dehydration.

HelloCustomer

Do you have any more question?

If you still need more information, please read up this article. I am sure you would be convinced that what I have already told you is just what you should do to prevent heat stroke.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
    Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
    Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i forgot to tell you that my father takes diabeticc medication and my Mom takes nefedical and lothyroxine.... (soemthing like that)

Thanks for the accept.

They should continue taking their medicines regularly, as directed.

Hope you had a wonderful vacation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i know that.....why i made the reference to these meds is because you asked first in your answer to me if they take blood pressure meds or have high blood sugar.....SO i wanted to get that relevant info back to you.....

Sorry for the late reply as I was offline (away from my computer) and did not see your reply.

Yes, I had asked about their drug history because diabetic people are more susceptible to metabolic imbalances / electrolyte deficit due to dehydration. So, intend to advice you about keeping your father well hydrated with plenty of water during the outing and to take electrolyte supplements on and off. Taking the medicines as directed will also make sure that he does not suffer from any metabolic derangement's.

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
    Thanks againCustomer!

For new questions, you can request me as "DR. BORA ONLY" in the opening statement of the question.

Take good care and hope you have a wonderful vacation.
    Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
    Hello Customer!

How are you?

Do you have any more questions?
    Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no thank you

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i know, thank you please close the question

O.K.