Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician

I have had shingles for about two and a half weeks, th erash

I have had shingles for about two and a half weeks, th erash is now fading and itchy but the pain is quite severe and skin tender to touch. How long does this normally last and when would Postherpetic Neuralgia be suspected.
Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 11 months ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

On which part of body you had shingles?
On a grade of 1 to 10 how will you rate the pain?
Was treatment started within 72 hours of appearance of rash?
Which medications have you taken so far?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The rash is on the right side from my chest under my right armpit round to right side of back.

The pain is usually about 4-5 but occasionally 8 in short bursts and about 8 when I touch the skin

Treatment did start within 36hrs of rash appearing.

I have been taking Aciclover and Ibruprofin

Dear XXXXX, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

Good to hear that treatment was started within 72 hours of the appearance of the rash, this can reduce the severity and duration of the rash, also it can reduce the complications.

Shingles blisters usually scab over in 7-10 days and disappear completely in two to four weeks. With treatment acyclovir, they should clear up earlier.
For most people the pain associated with the rash lessens, as it heals.

It may take up to 3-4 weeks for pain to get resolve completely. Also as treatment was started within 72 hours of appearance of rash, so chances of getting Postherpetic Neuralgia are very less.
Most likely, by one more week, you would be free from symptoms.
Postherpetic neuralgia affects only 10%-15% of people with shingles.
You can use Lidocaine pain patches (Lidoderm) on affected part.

Please wait for some more days, and most likely you would be free from symptoms in that time.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, Experienced Family Physician