Hello Rebecca ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
This is very likelihood to be myofascial trigger point. An hernia is rare to develop after sneezing, so you should not worry about it. Trigger points may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may be a noticeable traumatic event or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. Myofascial trigger point is a hyperirritable spot, usually within a taut band of skeletal muscle or in the muscle fascia which is painful on compression. You may get it examined by your doctor in a routine appointment, though this may resolve spontaneously . Following are the helpful measures:
1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant
2) physical therapy
3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation
4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray
5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)
6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points
8) steroid shots; used only if above measures are not helpful.
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.