Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I sneezed suddenly today while I was bent over turning on the

I sneezed suddenly today while I was bent over turning on the shower and heard/felt a pop in my lower right abdomen. Its approximately 4 fingers width from the crease in my leg. I've had pain before like I've strained something but never a "pop". Its a bit sore now, but not sure if that's from my poking around on it thinking I did something.

Concerned about a hernia. Is there any preventative that could correct this or should I just head to the Dr this week? I guess, how worried should I be?

Healthy female
Age 37
5'7", 160lbs

Hello Rebecca ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

This is very likelihood to be myofascial trigger point. An hernia is rare to develop after sneezing, so you should not worry about it. Trigger points may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may be a noticeable traumatic event or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. Myofascial trigger point is a hyperirritable spot, usually within a taut band of skeletal muscle or in the muscle fascia which is painful on compression. You may get it examined by your doctor in a routine appointment, though this may resolve spontaneously . Following are the helpful measures:

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant

2) physical therapy

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots; used only if above measures are not helpful.

9) acupuncture

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

So to clarify, this sounds like more of a physiological response to the sneeze and the position of my body. The likelihood of a true injury or hernia would be very low, but if there is pain that persists I can try the mentioned treatments?

Would that be correct?

You are very welcome, Rebecca.

Yes, this is likely to be more of a physiological respond to the position of your body during sneezing. If the pain persists, you may try the treatment we discussed. Though many times this resolves spontaneously.

It is privilege assisting you.