Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hello. My doc recently heard a murmur and sent me to a cardio

Hello. My doc recently heard a murmur and sent me to a cardio doc. He did not hear anything and said if I would feel
Better I could get an echocardiogram. I would rather not, please advise.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

Heart murmur in most cases is a benign condition.

mysticdoc :

This is not concerning without any symptoms like dizziness, chest pain or palpitations.

mysticdoc :

Echocardiogram is an noninvasive ultrasound of the heart to check for any valve problem and also to assess the heart function.

mysticdoc :

Murmur is produced by the turbulent blood flow in the heart due to the valve leakage or delayed opening of the valve.

mysticdoc :

In most cases, this is insignificant clinically and no intervention is needed.

mysticdoc :

An echocardiogram will further reassure you by proving this is harmless.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
mysticdoc : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
mysticdoc : Hi there,
mysticdoc : Heart murmur in most cases is a benign condition.
mysticdoc : This is not concerning without any symptoms like dizziness, chest pain or palpitations.
mysticdoc : Echocardiogram is an noninvasive ultrasound of the heart to check for any valve problem and also to assess the heart function.
mysticdoc : Murmur is produced by the turbulent blood flow in the heart due to the valve leakage or delayed opening of the valve.
mysticdoc : In most cases, this is insignificant clinically and no intervention is needed.
mysticdoc : An echocardiogram will further reassure you by proving this is harmless.
mysticdoc : Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doc. Thanks. Since the cardio doc didn't hear anything ,I feel reassured. Is it ok to skip the echo? Thanks!
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Yes I think so.
That means this is not concerning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My only concern is my family doc who sent me to him saying " why didn't you get the echo" since he did give me an order for it. But I've had a real problem this year having my insurance deny payment for tests. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
You can discuss with your cardiologist regarding the necessity of the echo since he is more experienced in this field.

Best wishes
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD