Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am having very frequent bowel movements which tend to be

I am having very frequent bowel movements which tend to be loose. I have been monitoring the food I eat and nothing particular seems to trigger this. I tend to have to use the bathroom within 30-60 minutes after eating. I've had problems since about 7th grade and am now 34. It was tolerable until about 6 months ago, and has been getting worse. I had seen a GC years ago...There was no chrones, or any other problems. I was told to live with it. It's becoming a major issue and is degrading my quality of life more and more each day. What can be done?
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

How many motions do you pass in a day?
What did your blood tests and CT scan show?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2-5 motions daily, and they are rarely nice solid movements. I had a colonoscopy which checked out fine years ago after my elium had become inflamed. Medication cured that problem immediately. There were no signs of chrones or anything else.

Thanks Mark for the further information.

Your symptoms are suggestive of intestinal motility disorder. One of the commonest is called as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Following investigations may be considered (if not done);

1) The complete blood count (CBC); altered in irritable bowel disease (in whom leukocytosis / high WBC count is the more frequent result).
2) Protein electrophoresis pattern may show alterations of both albumin and globulins (especially alpha-1 and gamma globulins) in IBS.
3) Thyroid function tests; an high thyroid may cause loose and frequent bowel motions.
4) A barium meal is a helpful study in the diagnosis of intestinal motility disorders.
5) Computed tomography (CT) and nuclear magnetic resonance examinations are also necessary.
6) Defecography
7) Scintigraphic study of the small bowel or colonic transit time is currently most preferred investigations for your symptoms. It shows the intestinal progression of the meal.

Medications like neostigmine, bethanechol, metoclopramide, cisapride, and loperamide may help you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried Loperamide, initially I had slight relief but it seemed to wear off quick. I feel I need something much stronger. Are any of the others you recommended any stronger and/or over the counter? If so which ones.
I feel it is IBS, years ago I was told men do not have it...I think now they say men can get it. Are there any treatments for it? I have not read anything online to believe there is much to do about it.

Hello Mark,

Yes this can be IBS as we discussed.

Following measures collectively may help;

1) Fiber supplementation may improve loose motions. Citrucel and FiberCon may produce less flatulence than psyllium compounds (Metamucil).

2) Caffeine avoidance may limit exacerbation.

3) Lactose and/or fructose should also be limited or avoided.

4) Lomotil and the other medications we discussed above. Unfortunately all of these are prescription medications.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun