Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

good morning doc just wondering about if i should be worri

Customer Question

good morning doc just wondering about if i should be worried about hep b ,c my lips including my mucus membranes in my lips  touched an area on a cup were my fingers touched and the problem is i did not washed my hands after i came home , i probably over thing but please let me know ,you been a great help to me i know i am a nut case any way please let me know if there is any hep b,c  risk related to the incident i described

Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello and Good morning to you!

Anthony Bray MD :

No this situation is not a concern with regard to you contracting Hep B or C....

Anthony Bray MD :

This is a normal everyday situation that you describe here!! Drinking from a cup but perhaps handling the cup with hands not washed>> how many of us are guilty of that!!

Anthony Bray MD :

My goodness!! If this were to make you contract Hep B or C then we would ALL have it!! Good news >> that is NOT the case!!

Anthony Bray MD :

So relax!! You are fine!

Anthony Bray MD :

I'm sorry that you have become so fearful of this particualr disease. You have a lot of company in that there are many many people with health concerns that are out of proportion (not so many that are specifically worried about hepatitis but many that have some sort of health paranoia...that is quite common...)

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions or discussion in which I may be able to help!

Anthony Bray MD :

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

i was just thinking related to my questions, every body buys soda cane they open it and drinking it now they do put there lips

Customer:

on the cane with there mucus membranes as we know were they put their lips in an area on a cane that is not sealed i would have fears of exposure

Anthony Bray MD :

OK >> in the situation of a drink can >yes with place out lips on the can but A) Usually we are not drinking with exposing open sores of compromised tissue (Ouch that would hurt!) and B) we would not expect this surface to be likely to have been recently exposed to an infected person's blood or body fluids >>(Gross!!)

Customer:

so you say there would be no risk to hep b,c from drinking from a can as long no open sores?

Anthony Bray MD :

Remember that Rock Hudson (had HIV) and french kissed female stars without transmitting the virus... OK well Hep B and C are somewhat more transmissable than HIV but also there are many cases of wife has Hep B or C and husband does not contract it... same with male has it and not transmit to wife, etc...

Anthony Bray MD :

Right the combination of factors that would need to go wrong with catching Hep B of C from a drink can would be extraordinary....

Customer:

but in a medical terms you will still say very low risk

Anthony Bray MD :

You would need an unusual circumstance of contamination of the can PLUS an unusaul susceptibility on the part of the person drinking from the can...

Anthony Bray MD :

EXTREMELY LOW RISK....

Anthony Bray MD :

You could probably set up a lab experiment to make such a transmission work ,,, sharp edge can, person with open sores in the mouth... purposely exposing the can to the virus...etc...

Anthony Bray MD :

The combination of factors needed for such a transmission is just so very unlikley to occur in real life though....

Anthony Bray MD :

Itis akin to worrying about being struck by lightning as you sleep in bed at night... or less than this even....

Anthony Bray MD :

I am sure that there are probably some people out there that have bene struck by lightning while in bed but I doubt that anyone is likley to have caught HEP B or C from drinking from a soda can...

Customer:

ok a doctor told me i will not be at risk if i come in contact if i have an open cutin the environmental surfaces unless i work in a blood lab would you agree?

Anthony Bray MD :

Right, routine cuts and injuries happen all the time... we do se accidents in the medical setting such as surgeaons accidently catching themselves with a needle, accidental needle sticks and so forth... this would be a reasonable concern for risk.. if you handled blood in particualr...

Customer:

thanks doc!

Anthony Bray MD :

An injury in the routine environment does not really place you at risk..

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!

Anthony Bray MD :

Take Care!

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i fell in a public bathroom and my hand landed in the toilet and in the water , i did not see any urine but i am not sure, i dont see any cuts on my hand any risks for hep b,c?

Hello again!

You have too many accidents! No >>the incident that you report wopuld not lead to risk of hepatitis. Blunt type injury so you should not have to worry about hepatitis. A fall in a bathroom probably gave. You a bruise or two however!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have furhter questiions! Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i got tested for hep b surface ab [KCH}

HBsAb {mIU/ml} 3.37

what does it means

Hello!

We need to clarify here>>> Hep B surface ANTIGEN. Is the main test that may indicate that you are infected with Hep B. .... Hep B surface ANTIBODY is a check for your immune response.... If you have had the Hep B vaccines then this test indicates a positive response and if in range that you would have adequate immunity from the vaccine... If you have had the vaccine then the Hep B surface ANTIBODY is NOT useful as a screen for primary infection... If you are being tested for infection then a panel of Hep B surface antigen , surface anybody and envelope antibody may be used to screen for the presence if exposure to the virus up to and including an active infection . ( the surface ANTIGEN > this is the test that most directly tests for INFECTION as the ANTIGEN is from the virus itself. Antibodies measure your immune response. So the interpretation here would depend on your vaccine status and antigen or antibody test??

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions or discussion and I will be happy to get back with you. Best regards ,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i did not take vaccine and this is a physical i had to take for a job so you know what 3.37 means

Hello! If you have not had the vaccine then you must have been exposed to hepatitis Didn't you idicat that your ex had hepatitis? _hat would seen likely source.

If this was new finding. Then you should have follow up tests Hep B surface anttigen, core antibody,core antibody and envelope antibody tests as well as viral load and liver enzymes to cheeck for inflammation. Treatmnt fo heepatitis is available as you know I am sure...

I hope this is helpful..let me know if you have furtther questions. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i tested many times and i am negetive

Hello again,

Well if you have been repeatedly negative in the past then I suspect this may be a spurious result. I would recommend a panel of blood tests for hepatitis to help settle this issue... You may have a false positive for one hepatitis antibody but this would not cause a positive hepatitis B antigen test nor positives for core hep B antibodies or hep B envelop antibodies... So the result if negative can still be easily confirmed even though the surface antibody test may be in this case unreliable. I would advise the follow up blood tests to be on the safe side.

I hope that this helps! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you! Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is not spurious results i have been donating blood and the results are accurate

after my ex wife test results i tested more than 10 times and it's been negative

Hello again,

??? Perhaps we have signals crossed... I was trying to say that the odd result ( the positive hep B surface antibody test) was the probable spurious result if you have had ten negative results for the same test .... I think you interpreted what I said in the opposite if my meaning here...

If the same test is repeated 11 times and 1 is positive and 10 are negative then it seems logical that the outstanding outlier or the abnormal positive would be the false result... So I was indicating that it would make sense to me to have a set up further tests which I would expect to confirm that you do not have hepatitis considering your history of repeat negatives....

I hope that this is helpful! Let me know if you have furher questions or discussion. I will be happy to get back with you. Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok you still did not gave me an answer about this

HBsAb {mIU/ml} 3.37

this above is on my physical test so what 3.37 means

Hello again,OK , that's fine. Let me know if you should have further concerns.Take Care,Anthony Bray MDPs there is no particular significance to the value of the test here. The significance is that it is positive...it is significant in that normal is non- reactive or zero...I hope this helps to clarify.... Take care,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MY LAST TESTS SAYING

HB S AG W/ REFLEX CONF NON REACTIVE

HB CORE AB {IGM} NON REACTIVE

HEPATITIS B SURFACE AB, QL NON REACTIVE

Hello again,

Right the above result is a more complete test panel for hepatitis and this is clearly negative.....

So the more recent isolated hep B surface antibody result would seem to be the falsse result here...

I hope this is helpful. Best Regards,

.Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YOU SAY. So the more recent isolated hep B surface antibody result would seem to be the falsse result here...

i dont understand what you mean here

Hello again,

You have conflicting results. The previous testing for hepatitis B has been negative but the last test for the hepatitis B surface antibody is POSITIVE. These can't both be correct.... Either one or the other must be false... Since the vast majority of your testing for hepatitis then I would conclude that the most recent test for hepatitis B surface antibody ( which was the positive result) must have been false....

The one test being a false positive seems to be the best explanation for this result at this point.... As you point out you have been tested many times for hepatitis B with repeatedly confirmed negative results.

I hope this is helpful to clarify ... Let me know if you have further questions or discussion. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what? none of my tests were positive i never told you i had a positive results

Hello again,

The HbsAb test should be "non- reactive" . Your recent result of 3.37 was a POSITIVE result. I have had this test and my result was close to 20.0 by comparison. I do not have hepatitis B but I have had the Hep B vaccine series. This test may be used to check a person's minute to hep B but in patient's whom have not had the va ccine the result being positive would usually indicate exposure to hepatitis B. in your case the vast history of negative hepatitis B results plus this being a low titer and a single result among dozens of tests for hepatitis>>> these factors lead me to the conclusion that your HbsAb result of 3.37 is probably a false positive result. Here is where we look at the body of evidence in entirety and make conclusions based on the whole body of evidence and not overly interpret this one result which is not consistent with your previous testing.

I hope that this helps to clarify the results and their meaning. Let me know if you have other questions. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

but you said these results HBsAb {mIU/ml} 3.37 have no particular significance to the value of the test here.

Hello again,

Right there is not much to be really interpreted in the VALUE of 3.37 but RATHER that the report is not zero or reported as your other tests as NON-REACTIVE. It is the REACTIVE vs NON- REACTIVE which is of significance here. There is not a response that would be related specifically to the value of 3.37 vs some other number such as 9.97 for example .... We would view these two numbers in the same light essentially as being positive = anything other than NON- REACTIVE.

The other tests that were negative do support you bring in truth NEGATIVE for having hepatitis B. these other tests may be considered for a repeat to confirm that they are still negative...

I think what has happened is simply that your immune system has made a population of antibodies that is so closely reactive to hepatitis antibodies that this I e test turned positive on you. I suspect this to be the case rather than you having hepatitis B.... Antibodies are special complex proteins made by cells if the immune system ( lymphocytes and plasma cells) and these may be stimulated by a number of bacteria, viruses and other factors( some drugs induce allergies and sometimes we get autoimmune disease for example)

So you have a sub population of antibodies that is reacting similar to antibodies against the hep B virus. We need to be careful to interpret this new result with care and precision and not OVER-INTERPRET this result either...

I hope this explanation is helpful . Please let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok there is also a note in my physical saying ADIVA centaur anti-hbs assay is a sandwich immunoassay using direct, chemiluminometric technology

what is it

Hello again,

I don't have much to tell you as far as the specifics of testing method techniques or technology differences. I can help interpret the test results but I am not really involved in the evaluation of the testing methods themselves.

Now with that disclaimer if you will, I can tell you from the above description that the testing involved a binding if an agent that is supposed to be specific to antibodies directed against the hepatitis viral surface.... The bonding agent causes a color difference which is then measured by instrumentation. It may have one or more very specific colt absorption bands that are affected. In other words when antibodies to hepatitis B virus are present in the blood the combination if the blood sample plus the specific bonding agent causes a change in the color absorption profile of the sample. This change is interpreted to give a result which corresponds to your result. The color absorption should not be altered if there are no antibodies present that are specific to the hepatitis b viral surface. This last test showed a measured shift in the color absorption which has been I retorted as a small presence if hep B antibodies.

It is complicated! Your test result implies the presence if antibodies vs the hepatitis b surface BUT this is contradicted by numerous similar tests. So the above panel that you state was all negative included Hepatitis B surface antigen( this test is more specific as to infection with hepatitis B) if this test and perhaps the other two subtypes if hep B antibodies were tested again I suspect that these would be negative...this would fit best with the total if your past results....

I hope this helps to clarify the picture. Please let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to explain further to you to the best of my ability! Take Care!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok do you think i have hep b

all the incidents i told you about you said i am not in danger for hep b so i want to know if you think i have hep b

Hello again,

No I don't think that you have hepatitis B. You may have had a false positive result as we discussed or possibly could have contracted hepatitis B, None of the scenarios that you asked about here have seemed to be risky for you to contract hepatitis B however!!

So I think that it would be best for you to retest the full panel of hepB tests that you have had in the past. I anticipate that the other tests will prove negative.As I have said the only risk of hep .com that you have had as faras I know would be from your ex wife but you KNOW that you have been negative long after being with her! Could there be some other risk of exposure? More recent exposure? Perhaps this might be the case such as being intimate with someone with the virus but none of the scenarios that you have discussed with me would seem plausible as risk of hep B exposure.....

I would be on the safe side and recommend the completion of the hepatitis surface antigen test as well as the envelop and core antibody tests. The antigen test is the most important one however....

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have furhter questtions. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so are you are positive that the test will show negative?

Hello again,

No >>honestly I THINK that your follow up detailed hepatitis tests will be negative but there is no way that I can guarantee that this is the case!

One possible explanation is that you somehow contracted hepatits B but with your numerous past negative tests plus the relatively low titer or 3.75 I think that it is more likely that you will prove negative for this infection.As we have discussed several episodes of concern that you have had these situations would NOT seem to pose reasonable risk of infection....
I don't know if you may have been with another positive individual sexually for example as this would be the type of situation that would put you at risk....

I suspect and hope that your repeat detailed tests will prove negative. It hink the relatively low titer would fit better with a false positive test than an an actual infeection. KIf you had contracted recent hep B then I would anticipate a higher titer than your value of 3.75.... Only time and the appropriate tests can answer this question with certainty however...

I hope this is helpful to clarify. I'm sorry that yopu had this resulty pop up as I realize the fear and dread that you have for hepatitis. I do hope that your follow up tests will prove you negative to alleviate your worry in this regard.

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have not been sexual with any body since my x wife so you think i'll be negative under these circumstances

Hello again,

Yes I would think so under these circumstances.

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for your time i am just a little scared

You are very welcome!

I realize that this has you worried. Let me know how your follow up turns out.

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YOU GAVE ME WRONG INFO !

DR P, Jyoti said on just answer told me this

HBsAb is not an indicator of Hep B infection. It is a protective antibody against Hep B infection.

It indicates that you are not immune to HepB, thats all it means.

It does not indicate that you are positive to Hep B, it is not used for that purpose (finding if you are positive to Hep B).

Since you have 3.37, it indicates that you are not sufficiently protected and that therefore you will need further Hep B vaccine.

It is used mainly in association with Hep B vaccine - to find out if you have developed sufficient immunity after taking the vaccine or to find out if you need vaccination.

It is not used much for Hep B infection but instead used to find out if you are protected against Hep B or you need vaccination.

A level of 10 IU/L or 10miu/ml indicates that you are protected.

So no worries here.

Take care.

P.S HE TOLD ME HE DEALS OFTEN WITH HEP B PROBLEMS I ALSO MADE MY OWN RESEARCH AND CAME WITH THE SAME CONCLUSION

Hello again,You have told me that you have had no vaccine to hepatitis B , so this makes me question 1) why were you tested for hepatitis B surface antibody?? The reactive result suggests the presence of antibodies 2) I have indicated to you that this test by itself should not be over-interpreted and by itself does not indicate infection... On the other hand you should have hepatitis B surface ANTIGEN test repeated to confirm that this is non reactive still as it has been in the past and this would be good solid evidence that you indeed remain negative to this virus...3) I have pointed out to you that I am positive to this anybody test due to my vaccine history and explained that I do not have hepatitis B >>> I feel that I tried to be complete and accurate to you with what this test means and what should not be over- interpretedI hope this is helpful. Best regards XXXXX XXXXX ,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

first of all i took the test i need it physical test for my job now you said that my test was positive that wrong HBsAb is not an indicator of Hep B infection. It is a protective antibody against Hep B infection.according to the doctor 3.37 means that i am not immune because i did not take vaccine that all

to be immune you need to be 10

Hello again,

Right the HepB surface antibody test is indeed a check for protective antibodies. I think that it would be a good idea for you to consider receiving the hepatitis B vaccine as this would boost your immune system to protect you.

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok doc i am against vaccines i dont take vaccines so any way i think i have nothing to worry about regarding hep b infection

would you agree that i am not in any way have to worry about b virus becuase this test HBsAb {mIU/ml} 3.37 all is telling me that i dont have immunity to hep b

Hello again,

Ok I agree that this test is not diagnostic if hepatitis B infection --- yes. I would encourage you to not worry. If you had hepatitis B then your previous tests of HbsAg ( hep B surface ANTIGEN) would have been positive >>> all antibody tests to hep B would also be expected to be positive in an individual with actual infection. The antibody tests to hep b include antibodies vs the viral surface / core / and envelop....all of these tests would be expected to be reactive or positive in an individual with an infection. If you were a person with a recent infection then a high titer would have been the expected result if we only looked at HepBsAb test.... This is not a test to order for evaluating for hep B infection--- on this we agree....

I hope this helps to clarify the interpretation of this test . Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok doc so i dont think that is urgent for me to take hep b test right now under these circumstances would you agree ?

have a good sun

Hello ,

Yes I agree. You worry too much already with regard to hepatitis!!

Let me know if you should have further discussion! Best regards XXXXX XXXXX have a nice rest of the weekend too!! Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i drank from a container after the container touched the faucet in the kitchen so the faucet touched an area on the container were my lips and mucus membranes touched any worries regarding any exposure, hepatitis , b,c or anything else

i dont believe i should worry but please give me your overview anyway

Hello again,

No I do not think that you have any cause for worry here. Not for hepatitis and not for infection in general. What you describe is going to be a very common incidental type contact of surfaces. It would occur to millions of people everyday--- I see no particular reason for you to be concerned here.

I hope that this helps. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

got pricked today over water melon container bled a little i do remember you said in environmental surfaces nothing to worry about any way just want your reassurance about this incident should i be worried about hep b,c i dont think it's a risk but just need your over view i know i asked you similar questions before so hope not to bother you again

Hello again,

That is no worry! Don't worry about that! You are correct in that such a minor injury should not be of concern to contract Hep B or C. You are right in the benign nature of ordinary environmental surfaces. If hepatitis were THAT easy to contract then practically everyone would have this disease but if course this is not the case.

I hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have further questions! Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

by the way i think i pricked my self on ice while sopping for water melon but i am thinking what if some one else pricked them self on the same spot on the ice were i was before me should i be worried hep ,b,c exposure

Hello again,

Again it it comes this being an environmental exposure so the odds would be very minuscule of two individuals getting injured on the same piece of ice.. so NO you should not worry about this either...

I hope that this is helpful. Let me know if you have further questions. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I DONT THINK I HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THIS BUT IT'S BUGS ME UNTIL I CHECK WITH YOU

MY MOUTH GUARD FELL ON MY KITCHEN COUNTER AND THE SINK THAT HAD WATER IN IT

I DID WIPED MY COUNTER BEFORE BUT WITHOUT SOAP SO I PORED AMMONIA ON MY MOUTH GUARD AND WASHED IT WITH SOAP THAN I PUT IT IN MY MOUTH AND WENT TO SLEEP SO I JUST WANT YOUR VIEW IF THERE ANY RISKS INVOLVE HIP ,B ,C ,A

Hello again,

No, I think that you are safe with regard to the mouth guard incident.Especially with you taking these steps to clean and sterilize it you should be fine.

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi doc, cut my self over broken glass i broke months ago while cleaning bled a litttle

any worries for hep b,c

Hello again,

My you seem to get into more than your fair share of minor accidents!! What is up with that??

At any rate > No > it does not sound to me to be a risky surface upon which you cut yourself. It sounds that you are describing perhaps a glass that was shattered months ago at your place, right? This would mean that it would NOT have been in recent contact with another person's bodily fluid in a time frame which would make it even possible for this to lead to infection with Hep B or C. So I think you are safe.

I hope this helps! Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for your time i do appreciative

Hi again,

You are very welcome! I hope that you have a nice long weekend here. Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi doc it's probably nothing to worry about but i was not able to sleep last night because i am thinking about this all night

my mouth guard touched a ammonia bottle and it is a foreign object i bought in the store so i dipped my mouth guard in ammonia and washed it with soup so i need to hear from you if it safe to put it in my mouth and there is no worries for any hep exposure

Hello!

Yes your mouth guard should be safe to put back on your mouth. It sounds that you worried with regard to incidental contact between the mouth guess and an environmental object of very low risk. The ammonia should be effective to clean and disinfect but of course you do not want to put ammonia itself in your mouth. Washing with soup is clever as this would correct the ph and move electrolytes to very close to what you are used to.

So all this sounds fine to me. Quit worrying and sleep well! Take care!!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks by the way the bottle been around in my home more than a week so even if there was any hep ,b,c on the bottle the virus will not survive any more?

Hello again ,

You are right. Such a virus has limited survival on an inert surface.

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

here is another piece i play on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cx1-accSsg

I checked out your video. That made for a very pleasant break! You are talented in the extreme! Very nice piece! I have no musical talent at all. I am working on a book though...

Take care and best regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi doc my finger came in contact with kitchen sink strainer and i cut my self and i bled i bought the strainer months ago and the strainer went through a lot of soap and water so i dont see any hep b,c risk but just give me your over view i will feel better

Hello!

I agree with you that this would not carry risk of hepatitis B or C. There has been no recent contact with any infected person so you need not worry here about those infections. Do take care of your cut and be careful though!

Take care!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok doc i put a band - aid for protection i just forgot to wash the finger with soap and water when i cut my self

Hello again,

Well keep band aid dry. Watch for infection. Usually such a cut will heal fast if not deep. Noes potion ointment may help protect as well.

Take care!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi doc my spoon came i contact with my open cut {the cut from the sink strainer} any way i bought this spoon months ago and this spoon was sealed in a plastic bag when i purchased it so i dont think i should worry any hep b,c risk here , am i correct?

Hello!

Yes you are correct. The spoon in these circumstances would not be cause for you to be exposed to Hep B or Hep C. You can relax with regard to this!

Take care!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks doc by the way this spoon i just took out from the bag before the contact there were about 20 spoon in the bag i did threw them all out so this spoon was next to use

the point i want to say is that i did not washed this spoon before i came in contact with my open cut so the circumstances still the same as far no worries for any hep exposure ?

Hello again,

Right the spoons were not in any recent contact with other people in close proximity in time, right. This would mean that they would not be able to carry the Hep B or Hep C virus...

There should be no risk of Hep B or Hep C from the spoon..

I hope this helps. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

according to cdc hep ,c,b is not spread by contaminated food or water so if i swallow blood contaminated with hep b,c i will not be exposed can you give me any views on this

Hello!

Why would you be swallowing another's blood?? That does not make sense. If you did then that would be cause for concern though...This would not be same category as food or water...

I hope this helps. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

OF NOTE Hepatitis A is food transmitted but not Hep B or C but still I do not include food and blood as being the same category...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok let say i went to a restaurant and a cook has hep b makes me a salad he cut his finger and a drop of blood fell in to my salad i eated will i be exposed to hep b

Hello again,

Well a more realistic scenario would be that you have a friend stop by your place and for some strange reason he is compelled to brush his teeth with YOUR TOOTHBRUSH!! He has hepatitis B in this imaginary scenario. That would definitely be putting you at risk to contract it!

As for the cook cutting his finger I suppose there would be theoretic risk there but ingestion might allow the virus to be neutralized by stomach acid. Ingestion tends to not be the method of transmission of hep B or C but I would not volunteer to drink blood to test this either !! So I would say maybe transmissible by your theoretical scenario but not the typical transmission at all....

I hope this helps to clarify . Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i dont think i should worry about this but want to know any way

my frying pan came in contact with a spray bottle i bought in a store

the bottle touched in the area were we put our food to cook so of course i washed the frying pan than i put my chestnuts so no worries for hep?

Hello again,

No you should have nothing to worry about with the scenario that you describe.

Take care!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank doc one more thing what about when we go to a restaurant we probably have skin cells and even hair in our food from the cook or other people any hep risk? give me your thoughts on this

Hello again,

Yes you are technically correct. It is unpleasant to consider this. It is a wonder that we survive when you think about all the hazards that we face especially on microscopic scale...

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok but still i should not worry about hep b,c?

Hello again,

No you would not need to worry about catching hep B or C because someone else cooked your food!

Take care!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i dont believe i should worry here but want to run by you any way

my sponge came in contact with an envelope i received in the mail than i used this sponge to wash my dishes so than i used the frying pan to cook so there is a connection from the envelope to digest my food any worries here to hep ,b,c,

Hello again!

No this sequence of events would not put you at rush for hepatitis B or C...

Best regards ,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi duc i have a miner cut not bleeding but look red that came in contact with a plastic bag that had sunflower seeds i bought it in a store is there any chance for hep ,b,c if some one probably touched this plastic bag in a store especially if they were bleeding i didnt see any blood on a bag but still let me know!

Hello again,

I think the scenario that you describe would still fall into exceedingly low risk for contracting hepatitis B or C. It is another situation where you have a minor skin injury which could potentially increase your susceptibility at this point if entry but as the wound has blood cot form and begins to heal then the susceptibility of the injured area would drop off dramatically very quickly.

Also the plastic bag would be a random environmental contact and your plastic bag contact would not be expected to harbor live hepatitis virus...

So I advise to not worry about this situation. It is a routine type scenario and extremely low risk. It is similar in nature to other contact potentials we have discussed in the past.

I feel that you have nothing to worry about in this regard.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions or concerns. Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i scorched my self so hard with my fingers because it was so itchy until i started to bled now before hand my fingers touched paper money will i be exposed to hepatitis b ,c? there is no fresh blood involve on the paper money so i think i am safe but give me your overview any way

Hello!

I think you are safe. This would be a mild type injury--- scratch that would close off quickly for one . This would mean low window of opportunity for the viruses that you fear.

The money would be heavily handled but it is similar in nature to other environmental risks.

Over very low risk of exposure!!

I hope this helps! Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok you say i am safe but according to you it's still a very low risk so i am still concern because it is not 0 risk

Hello again,

It would be near zero risk... I do NOT think that you need testing!! I'm sorry that my phrasing seems to leave you with anxiety in the matter. I try to be accurate and honest in my replies. These type exposures happen on a routine basis and nobody would advise resting specifically for Hep B or C based on such very low risk exposures!!

I hope that you can escape unnecessary worry! Let me know if I can help further in that regard.

If I had a scratch and handled money then I would not worry about getting testing for myself at all for example!! There is essentially zero risk but perhaps not absolute zero. It would not make sense for you ( or anyone) to be tested for each very low risk exposure!! I hope that this helps and makes sense and hopefully puts it into the right perspective!

Take care and best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so can i forget about it with no worries and sleep good tonight?

Hello again!

YES... You can forget about it with no worries and sleep sound tonight!! By all means !!

Take care !!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i was out side touching foreign objects i came home i did not washed my hands i touched my computer mouse key than touched an open cut on my leg had some blood on my finger

any worries for hep since i did not wash my hands when i cam home

Hello again!

No you should not worry. What you describe is again basically similar environmental exposure of a very brief and low risk nature. If you went to doctor for treatment of cut in your leg with this history( I'm not saying you need medical treatment --- sounds like some Neosporin and bandaid...) but IF You saw a doctor for this then the idea of risk of Hep B or C would NOT even enter the mind of the treating physician!! It is such low risk it would not be on the radar!!

So it should not be so much on your radar either!! A cut on the leg and you happen to touch it and had not recently washed your hands... This is repeated scenario daily !!! We would all have Hep B and Hep C if the risk of such exposures had significant risk..

So try not to worry' I hope that this helps! Let me know if you have further concerns! Best regards !

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi doc i bought a pizza and the worker put a napkin using his bare hands in the box than he put the pizza , now the slices touched an area on the napkins were the worker touched it holding these napkins using his hands

any thing to worry about hep i am asking you this because i ate it

Hello again,

Not a worry with regard to Hep B or Hep C > No not at all with that scenario.

If your pizza delivery person had Hep A then that is orally transmitted but it is not common in the US. Occurs on occasion but uncommon. Try not to worry!!

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i bought food that was put in a container how ever while going back home

the container was open so my food touched the other side of the top container and may have touched other foreign objects ,

i ate the food

am i at risk for hep b ,c

according to cdc i am not expose to hep b,c sharing utensils or contaminated food or water but please give me your over view

Hello!

The scenario that you describe does not sound to be suspicious to me at all of you being exposed to hepatitis B it C . It sounds that you simply had a clean container with passing contact vs the upper surface if the lid . The food would not be dangerous to eat. I think you should relax in this instance .

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks but do you agree according what cdc is saying that hep b,c is not spread through sharing utensils or contaminated food or water

Hello again,

Yes I agree that hepatitis B or C is not transmitted by food / water / utensils . That is a true statement. Hep B or C is transmitted by blood or intimate contact. You do not get this infection via food . Similarly it would not be transmitted by food utensils or water.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have ongoing concern in this regard . Take care ,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks so the incident i described about my food container there is nothing to worry about?

Hello again,

Right-- you would not catch hep B or C from your food like that. You should not worry about it.
You would not be infected by your food !

Take care... Let me know if you have further concern . Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

i bought nuts and i put them in a plastic bag and i left the bag over night than this morning i ate some nuts and i notice the inner bag is sweaty and it felt wet i have no clue why it is wet should i be worried about hep

Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 12 months ago.
Hello!

It sounds that the conditions of the air in the bag may have changed to bring out condensation ...do you think this may have been the case?? At any rate I do not see this as being a situation of risk for hep B or C.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further concerns. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i pricked my self from an old broom i bought years ago and i bled a little only i had access to this broom for years so i dont see that i am in any risk for hep c,b so do you agree?

Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 11 months ago.
Hello again,

Yes I agree. Since you have had the broom for years then it could not be carrying hep B or C virus from another person. So you are safe from hep B or C in this situation .

I hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have further questions . Best regards ,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

got pricked while i was wiping the floor bled little dont know what the object was so probably nothing to worry about i live alone but i still a little scared so please let me know any risk hep b,c i get stress out when i brake my skin

Hello again - and Happy New Year !!

As you live alone the prick of the skin would not be expected to carry any risk of hepatitis B or C. These would be at risk of you pricked yourself on a used hypodermic needle for example but a random scratch on a household object would not harbor this virus ..

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thanks for your quick reply so i can forget about it and sleep in piece?

have a great 2014

Hi again ,

Yes you should relax and sleep well !! Not a worry with the scenario that you describe !

Take care! Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i was on my knees cleaning the floor and notice blood on my knee no clue how it happen i described similar scenario before and you said no worries here so just give me the ok so i will not need to think about it any more i walk without my shoes in my apt and live alone

and roaches are any risk for hep b,c?

Hello again!

No roaches are not going to give you hepatitis ...

You live alone and with no one there to give you hepatitis the cuts or abrasions that you may get within your home would not carry risk to you as far as hepatitis ..

So try not to worry in this regard!

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i accidentally my lips touched a glass door that has a large traffic people going in and out the , entrance to my building so should i be worried about hep b,c since the lips contain mucus membranes on the inner lips the glass door touched the outer lips any way let me know about that

I don't think that you should worry about this situation . The glass would have just touched the outer aspect of the lips and this should not be risky to you. No one would advocate testing following such a low risk contact ...

I hope this helps ! Best regards ,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i accidentally cut my self using post office scissors any worries since it is not my scissors ?

Hello again,

No it should be extremely low risk. It is object in the environment. It would be unexpected that this would be contaminated with hepatitis virus. It is not as though it were a hypodermic needle...

I hope this is helpful. Take Care!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i noticed at the tip of the scissors looked red i did not inspected so i dont know if it was blood or not so am i in any danger

Hello!

I would doubt that it would be blood and especially doubt fresh blood..

So I do not think that this accident would be a cause for you to contract hepatitis...

I hope this is helpful. Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thanks but you say it is still a very low risk but regardless can i forget about it

Hello again,

Yes I would not worry and forget about it! You are fine!!

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

found roaches in my frying pan so i will wash it with ammonia and soap so my question is will it be safe to cook and eat after it's washed

and should i be worried about hep?

Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 10 months ago.
Hello again,

That is fine to use the pan again after it is washed . I agree with you there that I would wash it thoroughly !! It is not a risk for hepatitis . You can relax as far as that worry is concerned!

I hope this helps ! If you would please start a new thread with future questions that you may have. This one has grown to greater than 50 Q and A's...

Take care and best regards to you!!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

hi doc ok i earning money playing vioiln in ny subway so i sit in a chair and playing because i work many hours now i injured my self at home from that chair i am using in the subway how? the tip button of the chair leg brazed my leg at home and i bled a little now that area which is the tip bottom of the chair leg were i brazed my self was touching the subway floor so my question if i should worry about hep b,c since that floor thousands of people walking on it let me know

Hello again,

No -- you would not be at risk for Hep. B or C if I follow this injury that you describe. You scraped your leg on the chair while at home-- correct? The tip of the chair had been on the subway floor... So I would see that the circumstances would bother you psychologically but it does not sound to me that this would place you at risk for Hep B or C. It would require a series of unlikely transfers of virus for this to cause such infection. You did not come into contact with any fresh blood or body fluids from this I would say so risk of hepatitis infection would be nil ...

I hope this helps. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i cut my self using a knife i just bought in a store the knife was sealed in a pack and i washed the knife with amonia and soap so i dont think i should worry here so let me know

Hello again ,

Right , you should be safe in regard to the knife vs any exposure to hepatitis. This should not be any concern to you in that regard. Try to be more careful though !!

Take care of the wound and I would cover with Neosporin. If deep cut have a doctor check it. ( I hope that it is very superficial only)

Take care and best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

thanks it was extremity minor cut it stop bleeding after few minutes

Ok -- I'm glad it was only minor

Take care!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i am still worried about the incident i told you were i cut my self using scissors in the post office can you tell me 100% nothing to worry about?

Hello!

Yes -- I am 100% confident that this did not give you hep B or C . You should stop worrying !!

I hope this is helpful. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i went for my ppd reading to day and the lady touched the area were a needle was stuck 2 days ago it did not look open but should i be worried

Hello!

No you should not be concerned about that skin contact. This is typical procedure to feel the site if a ppd to feel if it is raised. It would not transmit infection. No worry here!!

Take care!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

if my outer lips come in contact with foreign objects am i secured? since mucus membranes are on the inner lips let me know

Hello again,

Yes you would be fine and not at risk for hep C with that type contact. Mere contact of environment object to outer lips could not transmit that virus.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions. I would ask you to consider starting a new thread at some point soon for additional questions. Thank you and best regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

honestly i am not worried i just need you confirmation my marinara slice fell on the gas stove surface i picked it up than it fell in to my frying pan anyway i ate it my gas stove is not 100% clean but i live on my own so i am not worried so should i through out my frying pan because of the slice falling on the gas stove surface or i just need to wash it

and about eating the slice should i be worried since it fell on the gas stove surface i believe i am fine again i live alone so just give me a confirmation thanks!

Hello again,

You have nothing to worry about here! You would not get hep B or C from this scenario! You should definitely relax as far as this situation!

I hope this helps! Take care !!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

thanks about the frying pan i'll be ok washing it and use it later? like i mention before the slice fell on the gas stove i picked up the slice and than the marinara fell to the frying pan so if i wash the pan i than continue use it with worries?

Hello again,

Yes ---certainly continue to use your frying pan without worry!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

if a woman giving oral sex to a male will there be a risk to hiv hep b,c?

If a woman HAS HEP C then sexual contact is a potential means of transmission - yes ... Most people do not have hep B or C of course and even if the woman had this disease then the risk of transmission for a given sexual encounter is not high. ( I have had patients in which one married partner had hep b or C and the other partner remained negative --- even for years ) so oral sex would have potential for transmission but it is not that high but it is not free of risk either.....

I hope this is helpful to you. Let me know if you have other questions . Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

want to run this by you i am very sensitive about incidents

i opened an amonia bottle i used amonia to wash my hands how ever when i opened the bottle my hands were not washed after i came home so the area were i was touching the bottle to open it that were i was pouring the amonia to my hands and than i was touching food and eating so should i be worried about hep b,c i think i am fine but want to run by you any way thanks

Hello again!

No there is nothing in your description there that would be of concern for hepatitis B or C.

I would not advise washing your hands with ammonia as I would expect this to be rather harsh on your skin!! I think regular soap or if you prefer an antibacterial soap would do fine for you!! I would advise that you stick to a product that is intended for skin use however!!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions . I would ask that you start a fresh thread soon for future questions that you may have. Thanks and best regards to you!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

send me a link to start a fresh thread

Hi again,

You may go to my profile page ;

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-anthonybraymd/

On this page you may use the box there to type your question or comment and it would be directed my way!!

I would try to hit that page at time that you see me online as these referrals are time limited( if you started such a question at 8 pm for example and I was not online for a long while then another doctor could pick it up)

I hope this helps! Stay healthy!! Best regards!!

Anthony Bray MD