Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have a 10 year old son and he did stool today and he had

I have a 10 year old son and he did stool today and he had blood in it twice what could this be??
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Welcome and thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX

The most common causes of blood in stool in a 10 year old are;

1) Anal fissure; there is a pain during passing stool.
2) Hemorrhoids; there is painless defecation.
3) Polyp of rectum; this is also painless.
4) Infectious diarrhea; abdominal pain accompanies the bleeding in stool.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So what is recommended for this I have never heard of this before I have to say that kids of today get the wierdest things. What should I be looking for in the next couple of days...
Hello Jose,

If there is an abdominal pain; this will require an exam by his doctor today. If there is a pain during passing motion or if there is no pain during defecation, a routine exam by the doctor for the evaluation (they do an anoscopy which is small scope being passed to ascertain the cause and is done in office) in this week would be sufficient. If the bleeding is in every motion than evaluation would be needed earlier.

A polyp, hemorrhoid and fissure would bleed intermittently. Usual painless bleeding is commonly due to hemorrhoid and many times is self resolving. So in all likelihood this is of no concern.

If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has pain before he has to use the bathroom to make stool and while using the bathroom making stool.
Anal fissure is the most likely diagnosis in this case. Avoidance of the constipation would be advised. Dietary measures like salads, green vegetables and fruits with increased fluids will help him.