Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hi: My eye has been twitching now for almost a year and a

Hi: My eye has been twitching now for almost a year and a half. The only two things that were different prior to this happening was getting on xanax and my wisdom teeth coming in. An xray from a dentist (whom I thought was more interesting in selling me things then about my health) said my wisdom teeth are coming in at an angle and I have major damage to my teeth from grinding. With that being said the twitching stopped for a while after I got off xanax and now it is isolated to twitching when talking and/or chewing.

Could my eye twitching be from this?
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Does the twitching only comes during talking and chewing?
Were any investigations done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi: Before I got off xanax it was constant. Now I only notice when chewing and/or talking...sucking on a water bottle things of that nature. I have been to an optomoterist, md and dentist and they all tell me same thing. Stress alcohol etc...

Hello Laura,

You may seek a referral to a neurologist as this has been going on for quite long. Twitching is caused by minor muscle contractions in one particular area, or the persistent and uncontrolled twitching of a muscle group in a distribution of a single nerve fiber or filament. Usually they are benign and resolve on their own, but persistent flutter may need following investigations;

1) electromyography (EMG)

2) nerve conduction velocity (NCV)

3) blood electrolytes like calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, etc

4) thyroid and parathyroid function tests

5) blood chemistry and complete metabolic profile

6) MRI

The common causes can be;

1) Idiopathic; no cause is ascertained and majority falls in this group.

2) Increased caffeine intake

3) Increased alcohol intake

4) Medications

5) Deficiency in diet and nutrients / minerals

6) Some neurological diseases; uncommon

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.