Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have had high blood pressure for years. I have been struggling

Customer Question

I have had high blood pressure for years. I have been struggling with a mental illness this year and I went off my medicine. I also lost about 50 pounds, because I wasn't eating very much, but I am still obese. I went to the doctor on Friday and my blood pressure was normal! I don't really understand how that can be. I am still 295 pounds. Could one of my other medications have affected it? I am taking wellbutrin, topamax, and cymbalta.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

The weight loss may have helped to reduce your blood pressure for one >> even though you are still overweight....

Anthony Bray MD :

The meds that you list include a couple that may elevate your BP to an extent... these would include the Wellbutrin and the Cymbalta... both of these may increase levels of norepineprine and this may increase your blood pressure...

Anthony Bray MD :

You would still be advised to check your BP regularly.... The AVERAGE is what is KEY here!! One reading good or bad should not be overly relied upon because it will fluctuate to more of an extent than most people realize....

Anthony Bray MD :

You should check BP after resting 5 to 10 minutes and check a seated BP reading (If you but one of the pharmacy cuffs> I recommend one of the wrist type ones as being generally more reliable...

Anthony Bray MD :

Your AVERAGE BP should be between 100 to 135/ 60 to 85....

Anthony Bray MD :

If average is much over 135/85 then you may need to resume a BP medicine but if not then that is fine...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this information helps!

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

Yes, this is really helpful, thank you! I will definitely keep monitoring my BP. It was 115/70 in the doctor's office. Thank you very much.

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice