Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Two of my fingers on my left hand (my thumb and middle finger)

Two of my fingers on my left hand (my thumb and middle finger) have a small patch of discoloration. The discoloration looks like an orange rust. No pain, no itchiness.. Everything else with my body seems to be perfectly fine! I've noticed this happen a few times over the last 6 months.. Only happens after a night of drinking alcohol heavily, which I'm not proud of. Is my liver failing ? I'm 28 and healthy as can be.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

May I ask you if you have any medical conditions or take any medication?

Customer:

Good afternoon Dr Brims. I do not have any medical conditions or take any medications.

Dr Brims :

How long does the discoloration last when it occurs?

Customer:

A day tops.

Dr Brims :

I see, this may be due to increased metabolism in your liver after you drink heavily

Customer:

I'm guessing the increased metabolism is my body's attempt to flush the toxins out of my body?

Dr Brims :

Yes, that is correct

Customer:

I know drinking heavily is terrible for my body and I'm sure eventually it will take it's toll in a more serious matter. However, what I am experiencing now, is this a very urgent medical problem or will I be ok?

Dr Brims :

This is not very serious for now, I don't there is any cause for concern

Customer:

Excellent. With that being said I'll stop while I'm ahead. My life is too important to binge drink.

Dr Brims :

That is a good decision

Customer:

So to make me rest easy today.. this is definitely not a sign of my liver failing or anything to that nature?

Dr Brims :

No, it is not a sign of your liver failing

Customer:

that's great news but also a wake up call to slow down on the drinking. I don't drink often but when I do I consume excessive amounts.

Dr Brims :

Okay

Customer:

Last question, What are the warning signs of a failing liver?

Dr Brims :

There are no warning signs, there are only symptoms and signs which are jaundice, edema, easy bruising and bleeding

Customer:

ok well that is scary stuff. No party is worth that.

Customer:

Thank you for your expertise today, Dr Brims!

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Customer:

have a wonderful day and take care!

Dr Brims :

Same to you!

Customer:

Thank you