Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My husband is a hardwood floor layer and he is that handed.

Customer Question

My husband is a hardwood floor layer and he is that handed. About a year ago he tarted getting pain in his upper left forearm like tennis elbow. He has worn the band and that has helped a lot in the last year. Now last Monday he was tearing up ceramic tile and his right arm started bothering him in the same spot. He could hardly hold a hammer that day. He is wearing the band on that arm now too. What can he do to help this
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

Your husband likely has developed tennis elbow or severe tendinitis.

mysticdoc :

Your husband's nature of work can aggravate this condition.

mysticdoc :

Wearing a band or splint may help to rest the tendons.

mysticdoc :

However, sometimes, the damage may be more and requires further evaluation by orthopedic surgeon.

mysticdoc :

Application of ice and heat may be helpful with acute symptoms.

mysticdoc :

Ibuprofen 600 mg 3 times daily with food will help with the pain and inflammation.

mysticdoc :

Steroid injection at the site of inflammation is another good option.

mysticdoc :

Steroid injection is performed by the orthopedic specialist.

mysticdoc :

In some cases, surgery may be required if these measures do not help.

Customer: He has been taking aleve once a day and wearing te band . He says its much better but still hurts. He can use it though
mysticdoc :

Physical rehabilitation also plays a vital role in case of chronic symptoms to strengthen the tendons.

mysticdoc :

Aleve can be taken up to 2 times a day or up to 1000 mg daily.

mysticdoc :

This can be discussed with his doctor as well.

mysticdoc :

Higher dose will help with the recovery.

Customer: He said he came on more suddenly this time verses his other arm was more gradual. What does that mean
mysticdoc :

This means more injury

mysticdoc :

sudden muscle pull from heavy lifting or force can cause this.

mysticdoc :

Since this is getting better, that is reassuring.

Customer: Does that mean more likely surgery or may just take longer to heal
mysticdoc :

Usually it will heal without surgery.

mysticdoc :

However, if the symptoms are severe even after 2 weeks, then a clinical evaluatino should be considered.

Customer: Problem is he works 5-6 days a week. Kinda if a bummer
mysticdoc :

yes that is indeed.

mysticdoc :

Rest is more important initially for recovery.

Customer: Well he will be off the next 2 days hopefully that will help some
mysticdoc :

Yes definitely

Customer: H says if he pushes in one spot it feels like there is a bruise on it. Is that normal
mysticdoc :

Yes that is expected with inflammation.

Customer: He said he read about it on google and it described him. He says his uncle has had it over the years too. They all lay wood floors
mysticdoc :

Yes it is common with this profession.

mysticdoc :

An evaluation by orthopedic surgeon is recommended.

Customer: If he had to have surgery what does that entail in recovery and stuff
mysticdoc :

They reinforce the tendon attachment, release the nerve if entrapped.

mysticdoc :

The recovery may take 6 to 8 weeks following surgery.

Customer: So he couldn't work for 6-8 weeks?
mysticdoc :

yes correct

Customer: Wow! That could be a problem when you are self employed and when I don't work
mysticdoc :

Yes it can be

mysticdoc :

However, if his symptoms do not inprove or recur frequently that also interfere with his work.

Customer: But if it is getting better even in just a few days that I a good sign right? He is able I use it again and that's how it was with his other arm too. Once he started wearing the strap he started feelin better.
Customer: The Internet says it can take 6-24 months to heal
mysticdoc :

yes it is a good sign.

mysticdoc :

and in most cases it does get better with rest and splint

Customer: Do you recommend ibuprofen or aleve for this
mysticdoc :

Either is good.

mysticdoc :

But the dose should be adequate.

Customer: Splint? Is that the strap?
mysticdoc :

For ibuprofen 600 mg 3 times daily

mysticdoc :

For aleve around 500 mg twice daily.

mysticdoc :

yes

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD