Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.

I am having some chest pain that feels respiratory as I am

I am having some chest pain that feels respiratory as I am trying to fall asleep, which is making it difficult for me to allow my body to breathe for me. As soon as I fall asleep, I jolt awake gasping as if I wasn't breathing (no cold sweat, no heart racing). I am quite thin, so I don't think it's sleep apnea, but I have had a history of anxiety and I have a cardiac arrhythmia. What would you reccomend? (I have to sleep!)
Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 3 years ago.

medtech254 :

In this case it is important to get checked out asap to rule out a serious cardiac condition or other problem. I know that will cause you even more loss of sleep but it is far better to err on the side of caution instead of dealing with a potentially life threatening condition that may develop.

medtech254 :

It is important to get into an urgent care or er center to make sure it is not serious.

medtech254 :

Once you know what you are dealing with and that it is not serious the solution may be as simple as propping yourself up with pillows but do not risk it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would you reccomend that course of action though this has happened off-and-on for the last couple of months (and I'm not dead {obviously}). Or could I go see a doctor on monday?
Expert:  Chris C. replied 3 years ago.
It is of concern for certain but if you have been having this developing for a couple of months you should be able to follow up with the doctor but make sure it is on Monday. Do not hesitate or put it off as cardiac conditions can rapidly progress into life threatening situations.